Turkey Scouting, your thoughts??

Turkey Scouting, your thoughts??

Unread postby cut_un » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:19 am

My scouting is divided into two times, first,scouting the property I plan too hunt! I do this in late Feb-early March. Boots, too the ground! Naturally looking for turkey sign but mostly looking the turkey woods over! Seeing if any major changes over the winter happened,anything that can cause a bird to hang up, new fences, blow downs overall, checking the woods out! I do this mid days letting the birds have early morning,fly up time. Beginning April, will be scouting the turkeys themselves, listening for gobbling,if possible, get a bead on what way he goes after fly down but mainly, want to have as many birds located by the opener! I do very little calling in my scouting trips, ole crow will be the only call in my pocket! Also, not a big fan out of riding the road, stopping and calling...... I like to walk and listen! Just my way, what's yours?
cut_un
Button Buck

Re: Turkey Scouting, your thoughts??

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:47 am

I'm the same, back in Jersey do a lot of scouting just riding and glassing from the roads.

I never call to them before season with a turkey call. Will sometimes use an owl, crow or dog whistle but no reason to call to them in my opinion.
Will get the opportunity soon enough
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:49 am

Being new down here in VA I need to get some boots on the ground looking for sign!! Will be out some Saturday, =Sunday looks like rain again :( :(
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby cut_un » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:31 pm

Same here! BUT..... I'm grounded for a week or two! Wife had Rotator Cuff surgery two days ago....Will be hanging tight at home for a while!
cut_un
Button Buck

Unread postby 55project » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:51 pm

Most of my hunts are up state Pa around 4 hours from home. So i like to get there on a sat night sleep then scout all day Sunday and Hope they are close to where i know they SHOULD be . And since where i go i almost never seen another human, i pretty much will sneak around thru-out some of the days after the am sit. I think i have more fun just running and gunning and seeing what's out there rather than the actual hunt.
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby cut_un » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Most all my happy hunting grounds (shared lands) are within 1/2 hr. from my house...Can keep a pretty good eye on the turkeys!
cut_un
Button Buck

Unread postby ted b » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Drive by and word of mouth no a lot of different people mail man ups and fedex drivers. Plus snow geese guides there out every day looking. Plus passed experience on my travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby cut_un » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:20 pm

Nice, we are in a hot bed of turkey hunters! If someone sees anything...mum is the word! We have almost as many hunters as turkeys....... Spots holding turkeys are hard too get permission too hunt!
cut_un
Button Buck

Unread postby ted b » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Talk to mail man they are everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:49 pm

I like to drive through farm land in Pa and NJ and look for birds in the fields.
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Next

Return to Turkey Hunting