hunting Report

Anything to do with the magnificent whitetails

hunting Report

Unread postby Nevermoor » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Well I had two deer trips out of state recently. So here goes.

A buddy and I went to NC for 3 days at a camp we go to every year, Carolina Hunting Adventures. It's worth the trip just to eat Miss Paulette's cooking and gaining weight is an inevitable part of the trip. Everything is cooked in bacon fat or bad for your health. Weather was too warm and it rained on one of our three hunt days. the deer weren't moving but on evening 2 a small herd came out about 5 minutes before shooting closed. I picked out a big doe and fired, about 180 yards. the herd scattered and one deer stood there and started toward me. thinking this was my wounded doe I dropped it only to find out I shot a tiny spike. A search for the doe found no blood so I missed and the goofy spike wasn't smart enough to run. Oh well. My buddy got a big buck but it only had 3 points. These NC deer don't grow big racks.

Thankfully I have an understanding wife and I got home, washed my clothes and left a few days later with my youngest son and his wife for Kentucky where he has a cabin on 90 acres. Opening day was a quiet morning and no one had a shot. I sat at mid day and saw nothing again. That evening a nice 8 point buck came out at 5:15 in a field 160 yards from my stand. Popped 'em and he ran about 50 yards and died.

KY 8 Pt 2018.jpg
KY 8 Pt 2018.jpg (137.87 KiB) Viewed 365 times

Then on Sunday evening a doe came in close enough and I tagged out. Monday my son got a monster doe, damn near as big as my buck. Then the rain came and we packed up and came home. So I have some meat for the freezer and the joy of three days in the woods with my boy. My daughter-in-law only shoots monster racks and did not see any. She passed on a 6 pointer and a bunch of does. Those women look out for each other.

Just got home tonight and I still have a few days left on Permit Bow. :-)
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them.
Nevermoor
6 pointer

Re: hunting Report

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 am

Nice Gene, sounds like you had a fun time and brought some meat back!
Think you drug that buck and little to fast or far on the quad, doesn't look like much left of it. :lol:
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby ted b » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:52 am

Nice job sound like fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby Nevermoor » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:18 pm

tomcbigbucks wrote:Nice Gene, sounds like you had a fun time and brought some meat back!
Think you drug that buck and little to fast or far on the quad, doesn't look like much left of it. :lol:

Plenty left Tom, it's at the butcher. Just chopped the head off to get a skull mount done.
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them.
Nevermoor
6 pointer

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Sounds like your having a great season. Nice buck! Congrats!
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:50 pm

Congrats on taking a nice 8 point .Not a bad few days of hunting
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Unread postby Sgt Fury » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Congrats Gene!
Sgt Fury
spike