Turkey Guns, Ammo & Chokes.

Turkey Guns, Ammo & Chokes.

Unread postby ol timer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:02 am

Spring Turkey Season is here so what type setup are you using lets stick with shotguns on this topic only. By know I'm ready to start the season my Browning 12ga.pump has been checked to see if my Burris red Dot is still on target and my pattern is still good. So how many of you have done the same, or have got something new in mind a new gun, new shells,new choke.

Well this year many folks are switching to a 20ga. or have in the past and with the new TSS shells hitting the shelves or NOT!! the game has changed with Ammo. Which leads us to choke tubes, if you already made a shell or gun change what type choke tube do you get to pattern well this is the toughest part as each gun barrel will shoot different.This can get expensive and test your patients.

My go to setup is a Browning BPS 12 ga.pump with a 30' barrel, I mounted a Burris Fastfire 3 red dot with a Sumtoy custom choke tube at .675 constriction, Im shooting Winchester Longbeards 3 1/2" #5 shot,
this setup took lots of work to get it right with this gun but is ideal now. I most likely will retire this gun after this season and will be switching over to one of my 20 ga. guns for next season which will start the new process all over again.

So lets here some feedback on what you are doing this year or just what you are using.
ol timer
12 Pointer

Re: Turkey Guns, Ammo & Chokes.

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 am

Ol Timer my go to gun is my baretta 350 xtrema, jebs 660 and TSS topped with my tru glo scope.
Logan’s is Remington 870, jebs 650, and magnum blends. Topped with tru glo scope.
NWTF - President Tri-County Longbeards Chapter
609-352-6957
jhunt72@comcast.net
Thunderchicken
8 Pointer

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:57 am

3" 1187 Extra full hevi shot choke shooting Hevi shot 6's topped off with a vortex prism spitfire 3x red dot scope. :D
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby Bones » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 pm

935 Winchester long beard or hevi #6
I forget the choke make but xfull turkey choke
My favorite gun
Bones
8 Pointer

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:10 pm

Mossberg 535 , XX Full Choke with a Tru Glo red dot scope Remington Nitro Turkey loads 3 1/2" #6. I am thinking about upgrading my choke and shot.
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:11 pm

one fat guy and a video camera , Joe very sharp topic thanks for sharing it's always good to hear from you :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby ted b » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Browning gold 10 shooting win supreme #5 throw rattlesnake forget the name but I use it on geese ducks deer and varmits , also have mossberg 825. As back up just a bead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby Nevermoor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 pm

I am using an 1187 with a Carlson Turkey choke. I have Fiocchi #4 3" turkey loads. I never did the whole patterning process. I have not checked it to see how far I can reach out so I hold my shots to 40-45 yards.
I had to pass up a shot at a longboard last year who was 57 yards out and would not come closer. Someday I need to spend some time at the range. but the stripers are here so...
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them.
Nevermoor
6 pointer

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:21 pm

My Browning A5 IS MY GO TO TURKEY GUN.IT HAS A 32" BARREL WITH A XTRA FULL CHOKE AND I SHOOT REMINGTON NITRO TURKEY 3" #5s I DROP GOBBLERS IN THEUR TRACKS
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:57 pm

My shotgun is a Mossberg 835 pump with a magnetic Fluorescent green strip on the front bead of barrel. My ammo of choice is Remington Nitro 3" 5 shot using the Turkey choke that came with the gun. It patterns real well. Hey Good luck to all.
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Next

Return to Turkey Hunting