Drillin Hardwater

Drillin Hardwater

Unread postby MuskyMadness » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:12 am

Ice Fishing....the sport of many dreams.  The thought of catching fish through a tiny hole in the ice....  Over the years it is almost a romantic dream.  That is until you GO.  Its freaking cold, windy sometimes snowing, raining and whatever hell can be unleased.... it will happen. 

Growing up I had ice fishing gear that I accumulated over time.  My buddies and I would ice fish by any means....I even drilled holes with a hand drill and smashed it with a hammer to break through.  Over the years I accumulated some decent sneaky rods, an auger or two, Ice sled and box, skimmer, and some decent tip ups.   We used to hit any ice we could find....Hopewell, Scots run, Marsh Creek, Struble Lake, Icedale Lake, private ponds you name it....ICE, we're there. We would catch occasional bass, walleye, crappie, pickerel, and other pan fish.

Then in 1989 my family moved away from Pa and I stayed. 

My ice fishing gear was boxed up by the moving company and shipped away.  Over the years that followed I continued the dreams of ice fishing.

Christmas day I walked through the brisk December air to my parent back garage with my dad.  We worked our way to the back past my 1979 VW Westy...I was looking for my ice auger.  I found a number of boxes my dad said were probably mine.....each on still taped closed since 1989.

I found my Ice fishing gear.....the next day I contacted my ol buddy to get his take on any decent ice around.....we both agreed it might be a few weeks.  Within 3 days I was back on the phone with him....the freeing temps brought early ICE.

We went to the Morgue and put a few on ICE.... 3 to 4 inches of fresh ice meant we were on hardwater....my first time on the ice since 1988....   Drilled a hole....had a perch on immediately.  4 ft of water.  Jigging rapala!!
Attachments
1979 westfalia.jpg
1979 westfalia.jpg (41.46 KiB) Viewed 476 times
ice fish 1 12 31 17.jpg
ice fish 1 12 31 17.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 476 times
ice fish  12 31 17.jpg
ice fish 12 31 17.jpg (61.99 KiB) Viewed 476 times
}><{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{\"> #MuskyMadness <"/;}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}><{

2015 Champ King of the Marsh - Muskies Inc tournament

2009 Champion Sea Robin Classic Surf Fishing Tournament
MuskyMadness
y buck

Re: Drillin Hardwater

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:16 pm

Nice, good story and memory
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:23 pm

thanks a bunch for the weekend recap MuskyMadNess . fine piece of writing for sure :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:11 pm

Cool story! Love the VW bus!
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Return to Freshwater