Mountain Goat

Anything to do with the magnificent whitetails

Mountain Goat

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:58 pm

I started deer hunting about 30 yrs ago. I got married and my father in law invited me up to his deer camp for the Pa rifle season. I hunted up there for a few years and killed two doe but no bucks. It was a real traditional Pa deer camp. Guys playing cards drinking a little beer smoking cigars and lots bs stories.
Deer were killed. Mostly spikes and scrubs. It was all about just getting your buck. Then antler restrictions and increased doe tags came along. Almost killed the traditional Pa deer camps. Definitely reduced them.
I started hunting closer to home. There are just so many deer around here. Last year I really got the desire to return to that old traditional deer camp in the big woods of Pa.
So I invited some guys up and opened up the old camp. There was plenty of beer drinking and bs stories flowing around the camp.
In the end I was fortunate enough to take my first spooky mountain buck! I know he is small but I got my buck! Tradition!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (199.09 KiB) Viewed 164 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (131.17 KiB) Viewed 164 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (174.89 KiB) Viewed 164 times
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Re: Mountain Goat

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:11 am

Bigcity,
Congrats on a nice mountain Buck. A great time at your camp with success of a Good hunt.
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Unread postby Nevermoor » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:53 pm

Good job.

That brings back memories. I grew up in Philly and Pennypack Park was the wildest woods I experienced. When I was 14 my uncle took me to a deer camp in the Poconos. Like you said, it was guys in long johns smoking cigars, playing cards and drinking. There was little real hunting. Most guys never left the cabin. I got to stand next to a tree trunk behind the cabin holding a 12 gauge until my feet got cold. But for a city boy it was heaven.
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them.
Nevermoor
6 pointer

Unread postby ted b » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

I hear you big city bow. I myself got caught up in all big buck around home that we closed down the camp. Well 4 years ago my brother told me how he missed mountains so I started doing a little internet scouting found a state game land and we slowly been rebuilding the tradition god I missed it after a bear and a few does this year I still had a buck tag the stand I hunt I almost always see a buck this year 1 would compare to deer here as of right now he is still king of mountain since I missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby ted b » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

I hear you big city bow. I myself got caught up in all big buck around home that we closed down the camp. Well 4 years ago my brother told me how he missed mountains so I started doing a little internet scouting found a state game land and we slowly been rebuilding the tradition god I missed it after a bear and a few does this year I still had a buck tag the stand I hunt I almost always see a buck this year 1 would compare to deer here as of right now he is still king of mountain since I missed

earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby ted b » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Oh yea congrats

earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:12 pm

knocking down a whitetail buck right out side of the sleepy little town of forksville Pa well down Gerry White Sr :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:13 am

Good deal, memories and traditions are important!! Way to go BigCIty!
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks guys! I was quite happy to take that little buck!
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Return to Whitetail Hunting