I'm done with Penn

I'm done with Penn

Unread postby Zamboni » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:03 am

I just had so there Penn reel burn up on me. A 2015 Penn Battle 4000. This reel is 2 years old and froze up on me for the 4th time. I cleaned it, greased and oiled and it is done. No more Penn products for this angler!
I previously (10 years back) bought a Penn Sargas which froze up after 2 weeks. The Penn of today is NOT the Penn of yester year!
It's not your vote that counts but who counts the vote !
Zamboni
y buck

Re: I'm done with Penn

Unread postby 55project » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:24 am

I have a bunch of Penn reels, , mostly newer stuff like a few Battles and some others. No issues here. And i hope i don't :)

I think they will take it back and repair it. They use to be pretty good with that stuff.
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby Zamboni » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:49 am

55project wrote:I have a bunch of Penn reels, , mostly newer stuff like a few Battles and some others. No issues here. And i hope i don't :)

I think they will take it back and repair it. They use to be pretty good with that stuff.

I am sending both reels back for repair but they should not be seizing up this frequently, theses are salt water rated reels.
Zamboni
y buck

Unread postby Nevermoor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Sorry to hear that Z.

I've got a garage full of Penn reels from a 40 year old 650SS that I still use to Int 50's to the newest Battle 2000 (3 years old). Fortunately I have had no problems. My reels get a fresh water bath and a squirt of WD-40 after each trip. Every reel get taken down and cleaned and greased every winter.

I know another guy who also had problems like yours with 2 year old Battle reels. I wonder if they are made in multiple factories and some are not up to the task.
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them.
Nevermoor
6 pointer

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:20 pm

go easy Zamboni that is a philadelphia base company . I'am sure that you and many of your friends have landed many monster fish with a penn reel over the years :?:
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby Zamboni » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Both of these reels were Made in China
Zamboni
y buck

Unread postby Bones » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Yeah I got 2 penn reels one is 15 years old made in USA never had a issue, the other is 4 years old made in china and I paid half its price last year getting it cleaned and fixed up, took it out today and it sounds like it's grinding on itself when reeling in, the bail comes open when I try to set the hook in a fish. Just a piece of poop.
Bones
8 Pointer

Unread postby jettydog » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:04 am

I have the same reel and never had a problem with it, I have a bunch of Penn reels and I only ever had
a problem with one and that was years ago. Our fishing club has two reps from Penn that come out once a year
and give a great presentation to the club and will take any Penn reel that you have that needs work
and fix it for free plus tune it all up and send back to you if you have more than one they charge for the
second but it is quite reasonable. I guess you can get a junker from any company but over all I have always
been happy with Penn because they are solid reels at an affordable price don't give up on them just yet.
jettydog
y buck

Unread postby Nevermoor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Sorry that you had a problem. Penn always had a table at the Cape May shark tournament caring for Penn reels. (not cheap Battles but Int 50s) Two years ago Penn was at Tackle Direct and took care of reels for guys. I didn't need any help so I'm not sure but I think there may have been a nominal fee.

Our country stopped building things and now we are surprised when products don't last. Any reel can fail. First I have to challenge myself as to what did I do to prevent problems. To me the issue is do they stand behind the product. I used to buy Daiwa products and when I wrote them for parts they said sorry, manufacturer discontinued. I can still get parts for a Penn that I bought in the 70s. Penn and Shimano have been good at service and so now that's all I buy.

I can't afford Van Staal's so I'll keep buying $100 imported reels and recognize that sometimes I may get a lemon.
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them.
Nevermoor
6 pointer

Unread postby Zamboni » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:31 pm

I am a hard fisherman and I USE my gear and tackle, that said I also care and maintain my gear. I have other reels that have never had these issues, Quantum and Shimano. I'm sure others have had good experiences with Penn, just not me. I fish to avoid the daily every day aggravations we all experience and Penn makes them worse.
Zamboni
y buck

Return to Surf Fishing