Delaware River Striper Run

Delaware River Striper Run

Unread postby netmyfish2 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:16 pm

Get some fishing reports from some folks here and there, and one came across that the first striper were being caught as far north as the Tacony-Palmyra, that blood worms were in stock and available and that it was somewhat on.

Thanks to Ted B. for the heads up on the dredging further south where I usually go, so I headed up to the Northeast, Linden Ave to be precise, to see if the stories were true.

As it is a new spot for me, we got there a bit early, 7:15, and it was not, not cold. It was pretty FN cold. My boat has 2 speeds, full, which is about 45 mph, and idle, and its a full convertible. So the initial rip about 2 miles down river to the folks who didn't wear their deer hunting clothes and full face masks was unpleasant, at best.

We look for the normal stuff for the river striper, deep water transitioning to shallow water, 20-40 feet coming up to as little as 8-10 feet. We anchor up in the shallow, flip off the edge and let the tide and current do the work. And the tide on the Delaware is no joke for those who have never been, keep the tides in mind when launching and retrieving your boat, it can really suck for those with bigger vessels at low tide.

We fish bait for the striper, showed with clam, bunker, squid and picked some blood worms up as well. I do throw artifical stuff in the back bays for the native striper, big white grubs on 3/4 oz lunker head hooks or white bucktails, but for the run, blood worms are THE bait to use. You can pick a few up chunkin bunker, but it's usually a 2 or 3 to 1 vs the blood worms.

Now I usually use bigger, heavier rods for the striper, but an old friend of mine, who I always talked fishing with but never fished with, til Saturday, showed up with a 7 foot med/fast St. Croix with a big Shimano bait caster on it with 50 pound braid and just lit it up. The bite was subtle and he was all over it. Made me completely re-think my approach and pretty much all the tackle I was using. Was really good to get a different perspective and approach from him, as he is primarily saltwater, but striper is his fish of choice. Very luckily for me.

So we did ok for the first trip, and on March 19, for striper. We picked up 10 total, one guy said 9, the other 11, I'm highly confident it was 10. We also had 3 crappies, one a tank and 2 catfish, one a pretty decent size as well. But the striper were pretty small, 15 inches or smaller. We did hear the larger ones, 20+ inchers were just being picked up further south.

So I took a half day on Thursday, already have one on Friday and will be headed further south to hopefully get on some 40+ inch, 30 pounders...will keep you posted.

Tight lines everyone.
Attachments
20160319_163501.jpg
20160319_163501.jpg (61.96 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
20160319_121133.jpg
20160319_121133.jpg (64.59 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
20160319_093337.jpg
20160319_093337.jpg (43.19 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
netmyfish2
y buck

Re: Delaware River Striper Run

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:24 pm

thanks so much Chris for this weekends fishing report . it sure sounds like the Delaware river in northeast philly may fill up with big striped bass soon . it's that time of year again NetMyFish2 very cool write up . Chris I hope that your old buddy Fred will join us soon , off course I have been working on him to sign on , let's talk freshwater fishing all spring and summer long Bud :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby njhuntingguide » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:49 pm

There getting them up north a little now to. Hope my boat finish this week
njhuntingguide
6 pointer

Unread postby ted b » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:12 pm

NMF 2 looking like they are moving dredge out so hopefully they have it cleaned up. They notified us they be back in October. To start blasting agian as in we pull water from Delaware for our process. I let you know how it looks Tuesday nitr

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby netmyfish2 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Thanks Ted.

I hope so too NJ Hunting Guide, the tanks should be fully on by end of week. Good luck!
netmyfish2
y buck

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:55 pm

Netmyfish2,
Nice report on the Delaware. Hey next time you put in at Linden Ave. go about 100 yards up river then head to NJ side there is a sand bar at Dregde Harbor. Right on that point it's pretty good spot. Also go down river were the intake is for the Water Treament Plant on the Philly side. Right below the intake there a few large rocks and
guys do real well right there also.one other spot is on Jersey side right above the Tacony Bridge a few good drop offs. Good luck.
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:43 pm

I got a hotspot for those suckers I might be out this coming weekend .nice calm warmer water .I don't usually fish the bigd I usually go up inside the feeder streams tons of bass .if I'm out this weekend I'll text ya now I got your number I'll let you know if I'm on them.
Attachments
10497.jpeg
10497.jpeg (69.95 KiB) Viewed 4971 times
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

Unread postby rr79 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Elsinboro point is the hot spot.
The word harvesting in for vegetables!
I kill things!

#Teamstickbow#Stickbowkilla#
rr79
Droptine

Unread postby netmyfish2 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:00 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone, appreciated!!

Will give them a shot and the fact this place is only 35 mins from me, gonna be hitting this spot a lot more and smallies are an agenda item.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
netmyfish2
y buck

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:36 pm

is there room for a Fat cameraman to tag along on these trips :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Next

Return to Stripers