Black deer

Anything to do with hunting or trapping

Black deer

Unread postby Buckhugger » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:40 am

I'm up state Pa in Sullivan county , near the Bradford boarder, last night at dusk a doe, jet black from her midsection to her nose came out to feed. Had the 3030 and she was 250 yds anay from the treestand. Going back with the 30.06 tonight. Most unusual deer I ever saw. Never heard of one... Anyone else ??is it dark meat and light meat ?lol
no politics
Buckhugger
Button Buck

Re: Black deer

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:43 am

I've seen pictures online but never in person.

Good luck if your going for her, would be cool to see and a nice tanned hide
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:05 am

Buckhugger,
I shot a buck a few years back and he had a big black streak going down his back and on the sides a bit. It was pretty cool. I was going to get the hide tanned but the butcher at the time accidentally got rid of it. If I can find pic I will post it. Good luck.
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Unread postby 55project » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:29 am

They are cool to see. I saw one one year while hunting in Tioga, and the lodge we stayed in had shot and mounted a Black phase Buck on the wall. 8-) 8-) I got pics somewhere's, i'll see if i can dig them up and post it. Going to take some digging though. I knew the name but couldn't figure out the spelling, so i found this to post in link below. I have only heard of them being called > Melanistic < (Got the spelling for post below, LOL)

On the continent as a whole, “melanistic” or “melanic” deer – so named because their bodies produce far too much of the hair, skin and retina pigment known as melanin – are definitely the rarest of the rare. While millions of whitetails have been harvested across the continent in modern times, only a token number of cases of melanism have been documented. In fact, it’s safe to say that most whitetail hunters have never even heard of melanistic deer, much less seen one. For that matter, only a few research biologists ever have observed one in the flesh.

Read more: http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/n ... z3L8E7Kgw6
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Kevin , tip that deer over we need photo's Sir :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:18 pm

i saw one years ago in zone23 ,i was driving through the woods and i thought i saw a doberman pincher cross the road ,nope it was a deer ,it was off maple island road it was cool as hell ..dont worry BIG D it was 20 + yrs ago its gone now :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: so put the sweet potatoes back !! the deer is saw was all black not just dark brown
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

Black deer

Unread postby Annabiz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:00 am

Good looking deer. 1st time I see a black one. Worthy of a full body mount for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Annabiz
Button Buck

Return to Hunting Forums