Possible small tweak Whitetail Contest please vote

Award special bucks addition points or keep old rules

Poll ended at Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:38 am

To award special bucks 1 additional point for each inch over a 15" inside spread and 1 additional point for each tine over 7". Each most be clearly visible with a ruler in pictures
42%
Keep rules the same, let's not complicate it. There is the separate big buck contest to award bucks
58%

Total votes : 19

Possible small tweak Whitetail Contest please vote

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:38 am

Ok we have debated it with good thoughts but it is a whitetail contest.

Here it seems possible for the only tweak. besides that big buck contest will run and can enter unlimited bucks in that.

So it's this small tweak or keep the same, we will run the Poll for 1 week and then set the rules

To award special buck 1 additional point for each inch over a 15" inside spread and 1 additional point for each tine over 7"

Keep the rules as suggested, let's not complicate it.
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Re: Possible small tweak Whitetail Contest please vote

Unread postby 55project » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:49 am

To some this may seem like a trophy size buck contest and it may be out of reach for them. :( They might not enter because of it figuring they got no chance. I know to many it's nothing to pick out a deer of this size. But to others is a grand slam. :) I would hate to see the new hunters have to push for a #/size to feel like they need it for the contest. A Buck is a Buck and the # of points, 7", bigger or smaller all should be added the same. :) The Big Buck deal is already having some shoot for the stars. But that's all fine and dandy for those of us that have been hunting for years and are settled down and looking for a Big Mature Buck. But even my small Buck last year fit the bill for me, Not saying i'm not looking for that BIG one. But if i was a newbie on the site, i might not have posted it not knowing everyone on here first.

OK, i'm done with my morning babble. :D Gotta go shop for some food since the fridge is Empty :oops: and we're firing up my daughters drag car today. :D :D :D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) Can't wait to hit the track. :)
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:05 am

I agree with 55 that it should be just bucks with no size to tines or spreads. For all the guys that do not have an opportunity of some of the places we hunt and not have a chance to pass on bucks it would not be fair to them and the new guys just getting in to hunting.
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:37 am

i feel its just gonna make the guys that shoot smaller bucks feel odd ,like embarrassed to post an average 6pt ,,jmo!!!!not everyone can shoot or have the areas to kill hammers ! i hunt areas that hold big bucks but if a nice 8 comes by im killing him ,i dont hold out for slammers just the way i am at this fine young age of 50 :mrgreen: ok im done !![did i end that rite] :mrgreen:
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

Unread postby ImpalaSSpeed96 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:34 pm

I don't think it's that big of a deal to add a little something to win it. It's going to be very easy to tie this thing, IMO. Could be the deal breaker here. Every other contest is about size... I don't remember, are we allowing deer from wherever or only the deer from our core tri-state area? If we keep it to this area, I'm all for adding some sugar to the pot. I mean, we're pretty much guaranteed to not win this thing, I'm just in it to have a little fun and ball bust!
Tim

Stick and string, how I do my thing....
ImpalaSSpeed96
12 Pointer

Unread postby 55project » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:04 pm

QUACKHEAD wrote:i feel its just gonna make the guys that shoot smaller bucks feel odd ,like embarrassed to post an average 6pt ,,jmo!!!!not everyone can shoot or have the areas to kill hammers ! i hunt areas that hold big bucks but if a nice 8 comes by im killing him ,i dont hold out for slammers just the way i am at this fine young age of 50 :mrgreen: ok im done !![did i end that rite] :mrgreen:

Yep. 8-)
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby ol timer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Tomc I know its not my place to say much on the contest rules but this site is comprised of a Core of men from the tri -state area NJ Pa De with that being said in regards to the big buck contest 6 divisions why? If it is kept local it gives the average guy a shot of entering into it,otherwise he won't stand a chance if I shoot a 175 gr from Kansas .Just saying It's not a national competition contest is it? Keep it local and everyone can be a part of it to enjoy and have a shot at being the local big buck area champ.
ol timer
12 Pointer

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:38 am

Ol TImer, I welcome your opinion and value it.
That was my very reason in doing 6 division, it was to have a winner in each division so each area would be competing against bucks from their same region.
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby BigSkyNative » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:45 am

I agree with 55 as well. Keep it simple. If a tie, go to the overall score of the buck.
BigSkyNative
spike

Unread postby grtwhthntr/fisherman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:05 am

not into measuring everything at all. and when warm out n shoot deer at night and have to get to cooler or butcher we may not carry a tape extc. keep uit simple. just reading it confused me!! lol
[flash=]slayer of all edible fishes and deers[/flash]
grtwhthntr/fisherman
6 pointer

Return to 2014-2015 3rd Annual Whitetail contest