Bubba jake decoy does it again

Bubba jake decoy does it again

Unread postby bigrack86 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:25 pm

I have had a great D week in NJ!! Last week on a farm we hunt I've been hunting this nice long beard and he was smart. he would answer to every call I made but when he would commit and come in he would some how always be behind something or come from behind me or something but the third day of hunting him he mest up . He started chasing around the jakes that where hanging around him so the next day I brought my bubba jake decoy that has a real jake tail and when he came into the field and saw him he gobbled at him a half a dozen times and couldn't take anymore and came straight to him and I let my friend smoke him! He was 22 pounds 8 oz a 10 1/2 inch beard and 1 3/8 spurs ... he was a warrior. I was almost sorry to see him go. It was fun hunting him for the 3 days . But there was another long beard up on the other field gobbling every morning so my son came home from college friday the 17th and he a D week permit. Monday we went to the other field and hunted the other gobbler and we hunted him and again never had a good shot on him. So today we got as close as we could to him on the roost. We saw him fly down 2 days from the same spot. My son and I got there at 4:17 and got close. I put the bubba jake right in the field and the wind today had him moving around it looked great. the hens fly down first and stair at the decoy then the Tom they start to walk off but the Tom just keeks looking back at the jake , he stops then can't take it no more and starts to head for the jake he gets about 3 steps from him and goes into half strut puts his head up and tell my son KILL HIM!! He shoots and shoots over him . I say " you missed , you missed " and the gobbler starts to run for it my son freezes so i pick my gun up thats across my lap and shoot just before he goes over the hill and dropped him! Normally I would be so happy and I was .. he didn't get away but was bummed that my son didn't kill him. All and all it was a great day hunting... He was 21 pounds 15 oz just 3/8 spurs but 10 7/8 beard.... If it wasn't for the bubba jake he would of walked off with the hens... Well we have one more day wheather permitting...
Attachments
sean and I NJ turkey 2013 two.JPG
sean and I NJ turkey 2013 two.JPG (3.58 MiB) Viewed 2983 times
Attachments.zip
(5.27 MiB) Downloaded 134 times
bigrack86
Button Buck

Re: Bubba jake decoy does it again

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Thu May 23, 2013 4:56 pm

hey ROB I have been filming you for more then 10 years now , and your decoy set up has worked plenty of times on camera . great bird , maybe sean will kill his real soon . thanks for the write up done well ....
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Re: Bubba jake decoy does it again

Unread postby 55project » Thu May 23, 2013 8:28 pm

That was a Great hunt and play by play write up. Thanks for sharing. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

You gotta post a pic of your decoy. ;) :D

And Good Luck to your son. I hope he connects. 8-) 8-)
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Return to 2013 Spring Turkey Hunting Contest Scores