Anybody here remember Brennan's Marine in Somers Point??

Just kick back and relax. Talk a while, share a favorite joke or story

Anybody here remember Brennan's Marine in Somers Point??

Unread postby C-phase » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Maybe just Gene ?
C-phase
6 pointer

Re: Anybody here remember Brennan's Marine in Somers Point??

Unread postby C-phase » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:23 pm

Nobody ??

Anyway,,
Last fall the local long time Somers Point marina closed it's doors due to the owners retirement. He was selling everything. After getting some great deals on things I need, might need, and probably don't and never will need :mrgreen: I inquired about his 600lb Howe scale that hung outside for as long as I can remember and has weighed MANY fish including my biggest and 230Lb Big eye tuna.

George the owner said sure I'll sell it, but right now we're still using it to weigh in fish. He said since I was the first to ask about he would call me when he was ready. So he calls and I go down. I ask what he wanted for it and we agree on a price.

He also gave me the original 4 way hook and other hook and pulley.

I tried buffing out the brass, but my buffing wheel and cutting bars were barely touching it. I found Brass Works down in Baltimore and since our son goes to school down there I took the 4 brass parts with us one visit and dropped them off. The guy did a real nice job buffing them out and applying a sealer. I did the disassembly, painting of the iron and reassembly.

I got an old laminated street light pole from work and bolted it to our pool deck and mounted the scale to that. I think it looks pretty cool.

I was able to remove the 2016 NJ weights & measure certification decal seen under the round slide weight and reattach it, (If I can find the damn thing)
C-phase
6 pointer

Unread postby ted b » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Very nice . I remember the marinara but it was back around 94

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby Nevermoor » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:31 am

That's cool. I weighed quite a few fish on there myself. The restoration is first class. I guess now we will be treated to the exact weight of every fish you catch. :mrgreen:

Brennan's will be missed because he had everything in there. the new place is ok but limited. The new Tight Lines at Somers Point Marina has a good bait and tackle supply but not much for ship's chandlery. The staff are really nice guys. Still miss Rob and Joan Barrett at the old Dolfin Dock.
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them.
Nevermoor
6 pointer

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:36 pm

That's very cool!! Great memory, don't know Brennan's I was always down in the Delaware, Fortescue and Gandys Beach
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Return to Campfire