50%
6months
33%
Another yr
17%

Total votes : 6

Re: HOW LONG DO YOU WAIT?????

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:22 am

Quack think you and Rack need to take a ride over to see what is going on. Hope everything works out
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Well this month is almost over and no word yet (like I thought different) I bet he's waiting until this Turkey season to use a fresh kill for a mount .jmo..then he will ask rackaddict for more time .
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:51 pm

Quack,
I had the same deal happen in 2000. It was the only time my late father went turkey hunting with me. He killed a 21lb bird with 1 1/2 spurs and 11 3/4" beard. Me and my brother went half on it to surprise him. Well 2 years later finally got it back! Same scenario he either lost or damage the bird and had to wait for following spring to finish! He was down in Corbin City area NJ. He since has left for North Catalina. It was a very frustrating time!! Your guy is he a local taxidermist?
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
VPA 3Blade Broadhead
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
NWTF - Tri-County Longbeards
Thunderchicken
6 pointer

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Thunderchicken wrote:Quack,
I had the same deal happen in 2000. It was the only time my late father went turkey hunting with me. He killed a 21lb bird with 1 1/2 spurs and 11 3/4" beard. Me and my brother went half on it to surprise him. Well 2 years later finally got it back! Same scenario he either lost or damage the bird and had to wait for following spring to finish! He was down in Corbin City area NJ. He since has left for North Catalina. It was a very frustrating time!! Your guy is he a local taxidermist?

North Carolina.
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
VPA 3Blade Broadhead
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
NWTF - Tri-County Longbeards
Thunderchicken
6 pointer

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:18 am

Yupo sj guy ..don't worry his name is getting put out next so noone else runs into this SO-CALLED business man .
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

Unread postby Spitfire-Spurs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:43 pm

Quackhead,

I can certainly emphasize with you. We had a similar issue waiting for the taxidermist to finish the mount of my son Dead-Eye’s first Gobbler. Was well over a year and a half before I managed to get the taxidermist to finish it, had to tell him I wanted to give it to him for his Birthday and told him I needed it a week before. He told me he would be able to get it completed on time without cutting any corners, and did manage to do that. This is the point where things got a little more complicated, the taxidermist was in Kentucky, I had first found him when my two older brothers and I went on a Rio hunt in Texas.

Prior to the hunt my oldest brother had done some research looking for taxidermist that specialized in Turkey Mounts, the top two were well respects and had won multiple taxidermist competitions. One was in Missouri and the other was in Kentucky, since we would be driving right past the one in Kentucky we decided to check him out. Bottom line was he did outstanding work; I had him mount my Rio and then a “Bronze” Eastern that I harvested a few years back.

It was never a problem to pick up the birds when they were done I simply coordinated picking them up when I went out on rifle hunts for deer. A year or two before Colin killed his first bird in 2012 the taxidermist, Ernie, sold his business to his apprentice. Based on Ernie’s recommendation I had recommended him to a friend that I had called a bird in for, his mount came out superb and I was able to pick the bird up from him. The only difference was that I was hunting a different part of Kentucky so it was a two hour drive for each of us to meet up for me to pick up the bird.

When Colin got his bird I sent it off and figured we would just coordinate pick up the same way. When the taxidermist finished however he told me he was unable to make the two hour drive to meet me so I would need to drive the whole way. I was unable to manage the logistics of adding the additional 8 hours to the very tightly scheduled trip I was making down to JT’s . Long story short after several conversations with my friend and owner/operator of DAOutfitters JT, as well as the taxidermist and the former taxidermist I agreed to have the bird shipped. Ernie had told me he had shipped birds all over the country and had never had a problem (you can see where this is going right?).

Both Colin and I were very excited when the big wooden crate arrived. I broke out my cordless screwdriver and began to open the crate, I took the lid off and Colin looked inside and got this quizzical look on his face and then said “is it supposed to be upside down like that.” I peeked into the box and the mount had broken free of the plaque and had been jostled around enough to have made it a mess.

Fortunately when we had made the arrangements to ship with UPS I had the shipment insured. I immediately contacted UPS to make the claim which started another year plus process just to get the insurance money. They tried to pit the me and the taxidermist against each other and kept giving us the run around. I am sure they do this because it is so frustrating that many people just give up. …..IM NOT THAT GUY…… After reading a lot of feedback from other UPS customers on just how often this happens, I had the taxidermist pass along a message to UPS (because all my communication had to go through the shipper, even though I paid for the shipping). I told them if we did not receive a check immediately, I was going to take it to the media and parade my upset, disappointed and frustrated son in front of whoever would listen. We had a check in hand within three days.

Below are the pictures of the mount before it left Kentucky and after it arrived here in NJ. I’ve been told that while it could be repaired it would never look as good as it had. We have toyed with the idea of having the beard and legs remounted with the skin from another bird and even had another Taxidermist lined up but that fell through the cracks as well (long story in and of itself).

So this spring it will be four years since Colin shot that bird……

Mount 1.jpg
Before Shuipment
Mount 1.jpg (67.95 KiB) Viewed 946 times

Mount 2.jpg
After shipment
Mount 2.jpg (206.76 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Spitfire-Spurs
spike

Unread postby rr79 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Thats crappy. I think i woulda just ask a local guy if he can fix it up a instead of going back to kentucky. The neck is wire. Just needed bending back and some featheres re aranged. And the fan bend back in place.
The word harvesting in for vegetables!
I kill things!

#Teamstickbow#Stickbowkilla#
rr79
Droptine

Unread postby Spitfire-Spurs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:20 pm

I did check with two of the local guys I use, however most don't want to touch someone else's work.

Problem seemed to be with the damage to the skin once it was dried and how the feathers would lay, also the legs were bent out of wack as well. The reason I went with someone so far away is that they do show quality work and specialize in Turkey mounts. The reason it is back down in Kentucky is that JT had someone who agreed to evaluate it and fix it if possible or remount the beard and legs on another skin. Problem is that JT's friendship with the other person went the way of the Dodo bird, so right now he has it at his lodge until I figure out what to do with it.
Spitfire-Spurs
spike

Previous

Return to Campfire