Stripers on the Delaware River

Stripers on the Delaware River

Unread postby netmyfish2 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Hope the winter is moving along nicely for everyone, hope the ice fishing is going well, where you can ice fish, and the hunting is plentiful.

As I am slowly getting back to it, I have stripers on my mind. I fish for stripers in a few places. I have a place down in Town Bank, NJ, 3 houses off the beach, on the bay side. I fish from the jetty around Folsom, RaceTrack and Elwood Rds, all in Town Bank, right by the Cape May/Lewes Ferry. I will also head into Cape May right by the point or fish the long jetty by the ferry in the State park. Sorry I don't know the names of the jetties or areas, had the place for 25 years now and I just go to the spots. Primarily using bunker and squid or clam, very hit or miss, but we have seen some barbarians pulled out of the surf, attached one being weighed - NOT MY FISH. That was pulled out of the surf by a kid, his first striper ever.

But close to home for me is fishing on the Delaware River come March through end of April/mid May, when the stripers follow the herring from the Delaware Bay up the river. The Delaware is big water, and unlike the Susquehanna or Schukyill, where I am paying very close attention to the depth and flows, and temps if possible, you are looking for tides primarily for the Delaware, down by the Commodore Barry Bridge, if possible.

I launch out of Ridley or Chester. Low to high tide seem to be the best times to get on them and also minimizes issues launching/retrieving as the Ridley dock is a little hairy - real long dock, very rocky in the water under the dock and tight like a tiger.

The baits vary based on when you are getting on them, but I always stock up on bunker, clam and squid in the summer and freeze it and if there are blood worms to be had, I will grab as many as I can. What we look for is depth changes, off of islands or structure. I will usally throw on a large white bucktail or a lunker head hook with a large white grub to just throw something to crank in and hope I nail one that way. The bucktails and crank/swim baits usually do better in the back bays, and not so much in the main river, but I'm not super patient. 9 times out of 10 though, the rods in the water with the real bait, are bent in half and you are hoping for that record breaker.

Which is the last piece of my spiel here, and this is where it pays to read the Summary you get when you grab your license. Unlike the ocean, the keeper stripers you pull out of the Delaware from 1/1 to 3/31 are 28 inches or bigger, and you get to keep just 1. Between 4/1 and 5/31, you can only keep fish between 21 and 25 inches. 26 or bigger, back it goes. But you get to keep 2. After 5/31, back to 28 or bigger.

Folks really piss and moan but the same reason they banned live lining herring in the river is the same reason for the keeper rules, to ensure there are stripers when our kids kids are learning to fish. Not to mention us in another 20+ years...

Tight lines everyone and talk to you all again soon!
Attachments
20150412_082530.jpg
My buddy, learning how not to hold a striper
20150412_082530.jpg (45.7 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
20150412_074728.jpg
One striper caught end of season, not a keeper
20150412_074728.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
2011-11-12 17.22.07.jpg
Not my fish being weighed
2011-11-12 17.22.07.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
netmyfish2
y buck

Re: Stripers on the Delaware River

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:14 pm

Nice info thanks man!
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby Tollkeeper » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Great write up. Love to chat it up w u come spring . Congrats on the hanging pig .
Tollkeeper
6 pointer

Unread postby netmyfish2 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Tollkeeper wrote:Great write up. Love to chat it up w u come spring . Congrats on the hanging pig .

Sounds good man, hit me up any time!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
netmyfish2
y buck

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:14 pm

NetMyFish2 is back all winter long , Chris we like your style 2016 is your year old sport .thanks so much for today's write up :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby netmyfish2 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:21 pm

My pleasure Pete, starting to put a spring smallie piece together, will get that out next week.

Can't wait to get out there! Should be ready to fish by 3/1.

netmyfish2
y buck

Unread postby ted b » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:31 pm

Netmyfish I hate to tell you the drege is parked right on that spot in your picture on Delaware they actively blasting and dregine the chanal for last 2 weeks from the titcum island to state line if not done by March 1st the river maybe suted up to catch anything. Plus there netting for 4 hrs before blasting and relocating the fish
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby kenBeam » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Liked your write up........ Never fished out of a boat on the Delaware River,....... but have been known to wrangle up a Striper or two wadin`......... Wouldn`t mind havin` a go at it this Spring in your boat sometime.

Ken

"They say the pen is mightier than the sword... but I still prefer the sword"
http://www.AdventuresWithKen.com
kenBeam
6 pointer

Unread postby netmyfish2 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:17 pm

ted b wrote:Netmyfish I hate to tell you the drege is parked right on that spot in your picture on Delaware they actively blasting and dregine the chanal for last 2 weeks from the titcum island to state line if not done by March 1st the river maybe suted up to catch anything. Plus there netting for 4 hrs before blasting and relocating the fish

Thanks for the heads up Ted, I will do some research. I have a few other spots, but hopefully they finish soon, as that has been a go to spot, and not just for striper...

netmyfish2
y buck

Unread postby netmyfish2 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:18 pm

kenBeam wrote:Liked your write up........ Never fished out of a boat on the Delaware River,....... but have been known to wrangle up a Striper or two wadin`......... Wouldn`t mind havin` a go at it this Spring in your boat sometime.

We will talk for sure Ken.

netmyfish2
y buck

Next

Return to Stripers