Learned something eye opening with trail cams!!

The place to share some of your favorite trail cam pictures.

Learned something eye opening with trail cams!!

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:39 am

Have a spot that is baited and have a black flash camera set on. The bait is scattered over 10 yards and not a pile. I've found when scattered can draw more deer as a dominate doe or buck won't drive others off it and gives a more "natural" browse type of feeding habit.

I always place my cameras facing North/South to eliminate sunrise/sunset white out.
I was regularly getting a few big mature bucks and in trying to see where they were coming and heading (bedding) to I set a second camera up. The bucks were typically showing at least 3+ times a week and would be both morning and night. The second camera I set more in a northeast direction, the view of both cameras gave me almost a 300 degree view. The area is fairly open little raise surrounded by very thick laurels and oaks.
I started this the week of Nov 14 , I was also hoping to see if a buck I shot Nov 7 showed back up(he never did)

Well I was totally surprised, between both cameras it showed the bucks were there almost every day, one camera might not have a buck for 3 or 4+ days but he would be on the other camera feeding all over and several times during that time. Each time would also usually be 10+ minutes!

Now as your reading this you might be guessing the bucks became camera shy of the one camera and were simply avoiding it but nothing was further from the truth. Both cams were black flash and when they were on either camera they showed no fear or avoidance! And if a buck wasn't on one for a couple or several days while being on the other next thing you know he would be on the other again with no fear or avoidance of that cam.

It was simply their normal habits of feeding, scent checking does etc. The does tended to be a more precise pattern in a tighter area where the bucks would be in a wider more general area.

As is often said a camera shows you a lot but doesn't show you everything, well two showed me a whole heck of a lot more!!
It showed me that two of the bucks event though when on camera appeared to hang together they were both bedding in totally different directions.
It showed the bucks were a whole more regular than I even thought.
It showed me a buck I named Hoss who has to easily go over 200 pounds tolerated other mature bucks more than I thought he would even during the later stages of rut and thru the duration of the season.
It also showed some nice mature bucks who just feed on the fringe edges, maybe out of fear of Hoss??

This was the first time I tried two cameras but I can guarantee won't be the last!!!! Has anyone else tried this??
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Re: Learned something eye opening with trail cams!!

Unread postby Runhunter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 am

Tom, how far apart were the cameras?
2011 Hoyt CRX 32 Black/camo limbs
QAD Ultra Rest HD Pro Series/Black Octane 7" stabilizer
Spot Hogg Right On Wrapped 5 pin
Gold Tip Camo Pro Hunter 7595's
Scott Exxus Release
Runhunter
12 Pointer

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:15 am

15-20 yards
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby bambeklr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:52 pm

I have done it before also. I have one setup where I have a camera on both sides of the tree and one off to the right. I put the one off to the right because every now and again I would place a camera facing back at the stand at the other end of the bait because its spread out to far for the first camera to catch them. On that camera I caught bucks standing off to the side on and opening while it was taking pics of closer deer. I can not see that area due to the thick cover from my box stand. I placed a camera there and I couldn't believe the amount of bucks that would come in to scent check the bait pile down wind but didn't show themselves to me. I had pics of me in the stand and shooter bucks there lass than 80 yards from me and I couldn't see them.
bambeklr
y buck

Unread postby Turkeyhunter50 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Did the same with two cameras from back in November. I have a feeder set-up out back that's 200 yds from the house. I had times I would look out back and see three deer at the feeder and other deer 40-50 yds on the south side of the set-up. Typically the wind is out of the north or northwest over here. When I pulled the sd card, I expected to see the others in photos to see what they were but no pictures of those deer coming into the corn. I set-up a second camera about 40 yds away from the first and had the same observations as you. There were days that some deer were only on the second camera but not photographed at the corn spread out. Some days they would be on both cameras. Got to believe your conclusion on scent checking and being a little shy of the actual feed site is correct. Like yourself, I'll continue to use multiple cameras at a bait site.
Turkeyhunter50
spike

Return to Trail Cam Pics