Protein, and some of the reasons deer need it!

Question, tips about Habitat, food plots and Quality Deer Management

Protein, and some of the reasons deer need it!

Unread postby Teddy Klark » Fri May 08, 2015 9:24 am

I was recently talking to some guys who plant food plots and it seems they are mostly concerned with providing food over the winter months, so obviously they are interested in Brassicas, peas, corn etc. And this is very important, but I want to stress another thing that is very important, protein.
While through the winter months deer need carbs to help keep them warm, and the winter food plot blends are great for that, but during the spring and summer months deer need a lot of protein. And while deer get some protein from acorns, it is minimal, usually 3% or less protein is found in acorns, while say a really good, high end clover plot will boast up towards 30% protein!
Protein has several important factors to Whitetail deer, maybe the most important is enriching a does milk to a suckling fawn. Fawns like any baby need a lot of protein for their developing bodies. And they get this from their mothers milk, which in turn will be enriched if that doe has a good clover plot mixed into her diet. Also I have noticed in my clover plots young fawn taking presumably their first bites of real food in my clover plots, this is not coincidence! Clover has high levels of protein, and that is what fawns need. Protein is also a huge factor in antler development especially in the early stages of antler growth.
If I had only 1 plot to plant, I would plant clover, it is easy to plant, easy to maintain, and has a massive impact on the health of your deer. And lets not forget it will congregate the doe, which in turn congregate the buck, and that is always a good thing!
I highly recommend North Ridge Wildlife Forage, they have a perennial blend called Mountain Monster Clover, it has 5 different clover seeds in it ranging from New Zealand Whites, Kopu II( a fantastic hybrid seed producing a lot of tonnage), Ladino, Alsike and Medium Reds( to fill in those tough spots in your plot) This blend in the right circumstances will push 30% protein and has all star seeds you won't find in other commercial blends. Mix in a pound or 2 of Chicory and you will have a great clover plot that your deer will have a noticeable change in their health with. You can check it out and order here http://www.northridgewildlifeforage.com

Thanks guys, if you have any food plot questions please do not hesitate to ask me!
Teddy Klark
Attachments
PICT0014.JPG
PICT0014.JPG (102.01 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
Teddy Klark
spike

Re: Protein, and some of the reasons deer need it!

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Fri May 08, 2015 9:40 am

thanks a bunch Teddy fine write up Sir :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Re: Protein, and some of the reasons deer need it!

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:06 am

nice info ted!!! cool write up
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

Return to Habitat & QDMA