its a bit nutty

Question, tips about Habitat, food plots and Quality Deer Management

its a bit nutty

Unread postby Cricker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:50 pm

3dsportfishing (aka the squirrel) must have been really busy collecting a bunch of nuts last fall. today we planted what he couldnt eat over the winter in 24 count flats :D. 75 degrees in the greenhouse and heated floors should give them a good head start. 3d knows the varieties he gathered better than me but as far as i know theres a few varieties of chestnuts, 3 or 4 varieties of oaks, and a flat of crab apples. theres 504 of them in total :o . I never planted nuts and seeds before other than for gardening purposes (usually do cuttings) so we shall see if they grow up to be deer magnets. if they do grow we'll keep this thread for observations. if you see some guy crawling around under your nut trees in the fall dont shoot him its probably 3d :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
Cricker
12 Pointer

Re: its a bit nutty

Unread postby 55project » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:03 pm

That's Cool,

This season while fishing at the end of season i gathered up some Walnut and Hickory nuts. The Hickory nuts are Amazing, but i think i goofed on the Walnuts. I peeled them, cleaned them , suned them to dry out a little and then stored them in the garage. I know i should have roasted them in the oven for a short while, but got sidetracked as usual. :oops: Now they have a moldy taste. :( And they look so nice inside. Is there anything i can do to salvage this batch or are they trash or animal food @ this point :?:
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby 55project » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:23 pm

I forgot, if you are ever up this way and want to gather any nuts at the end of season, hit me up, I know where there are TONS of these. Just bring large trash cans to fill. ;) :D
ODV Moderator

55project
Droptine

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:29 pm

it is raining acorn already , very kool topic . I would like to learn more . maybe this forum will get more busy in the future . thanks for sharing :)
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby Cricker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:11 pm

I wish i knew 55. Thanks for the offer but i cant even eat nuts. I had 18 inches of intestine cut outa me. nuts, because of the scar, have a potential of blocking me all up. If 3d chimes in he may know. Hes the nut expert
Cricker
12 Pointer

Unread postby Cricker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Bgcm, i'll try to keep this going and possibly do some more food plot threads in the future. I'll be planting alfalfa this spring.
Cricker
12 Pointer

Unread postby 55project » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:52 am

Cricker wrote:I wish i knew 55. Thanks for the offer but i cant even eat nuts. I had 18 inches of intestine cut outa me. nuts, because of the scar, have a potential of blocking me all up. If 3d chimes in he may know. Hes the nut expert

Sorry to hear, And i heard of a few folks i know had the same problem.
ODV Moderator

55project
Droptine

Unread postby 3DSPORTFISHING » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:27 pm

never really noticed deer hammer hickory nuts but the squirlls love em, on the other hand white walnuts or butternut they do eat but again never witnessed a deer eat a black walnut but im sure if they are hungry the will
3DSPORTFISHING
Button Buck

Unread postby Cricker » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:54 am

2 weeks. Most chinese chestnuts are sending long roots. All the white oaks/chinquapins have roots. Red oaks and dunstans are starting to swell but pretty much the same.
Attachments
image.jpg
Cricker
12 Pointer

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 am

cricker dig the your up date action . keep us posted on the new grow all spring long . great idea sir . thanks for sharing . captain fred is happy :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Next

Return to Habitat & QDMA