Grass in clover plot

Question, tips about Habitat, food plots and Quality Deer Management

Grass in clover plot

Unread postby sjoutdoorsmen » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:51 pm

I planted a spring plot of clover and now that were well into a summer it has come up well my ph is 6.9 according to a whitetail institute soil test .My problem is I'm noticing a lot of grass and few weeds but more grass then weeds and after getting insight from different forums and other sources I'm just wondering when I should spray and what ?The only thing I'm really finding is Arrest Maxx from Whitetail Institute and I'm wondering should I spray now or wait till fall before I fertilize any advice or insight would be appreciated being that Ive been through my fair share of trial and error with implementing food plots,hell it took me three seasons with working taking up my time and my really low ph soil to get the soil where it needs to be ph wise so any knowledge would be taken gratefully
NWTF Member(Tri County Longbeards Chapter)
sjoutdoorsmen
Button Buck

Re: Grass in clover plot

Unread postby Turkeyboy44 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:11 am

I say spray it now before it goes to seed and you have a bigger problem next year
45 lb Hoyt Dorado Recurve ( at my draw length its right about 50 lbs)
500 Gold Tip traditional xt arrows
Grizzly Stik silver flame and Maasai broadheads

SLAYEROFDEER
Stickbowkilla
Turkeyboy44
Droptine

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:42 pm

SJ,
Food plots are a lot of work to keep them like you see on tv. They don't tell you all the work that goes into them. Yes I would spray like TB said. We had a big property that we managed and between the grass and weeds it was a chore. Also try and keep your clover at 6 inches, as it gets higher it looses it taste. The deer will still use it but over time you will see the difference. Good luck with your plot.
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:29 am

yes they are!! Lot of effort but can be well worth it.

Was it a straight clover seed or blend? Also some seeds have a fairly large percentage of inert matter which can include grass and weeds seeds.

I'd wait till the clover is high enough to mow then after mowing hit the weeds with spray.
Once the clover regrows it along with the spray will help choke out the weeds.
From everything I've heard Poast (it's sethoxydim) is one of the best at controlling grasses. That could be what Arrest Max is. You could check with some of our larger farm co op's . I'm sure the would know and be a little cheaper.

Make sure to mow the clover 2-3 times a year, try to time the mowings when there will be rain sometime the week after during the hotter periods.

Best of luck, keep us posted!!
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby sjoutdoorsmen » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Yea I used antler kings plot maxx before seeding and thier game changer clover mix.Ive seen poast and even antler king suggests that every where I seen it its pricey.I wish I knew where one of our farmer co ops were located
NWTF Member(Tri County Longbeards Chapter)
sjoutdoorsmen
Button Buck

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:05 pm

I think food plots are overrated. Unless your a farmer with lots of property and equipment to work with. For the average Joe your better off just focusing on natural food sources.
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Unread postby Jode » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:35 am

Don't deer love grass too?
Jode
8 Pointer

Unread postby ted b » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:10 pm

I would not spray I'd use a wicking bar and 1.5 inches over top of highest clover and use arrest or any other good grass weed killer you don't need to by arrest from which you can get at any reputable ag store for less ask at local ag store

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby Bill » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:16 am

Arrest is a very expensive product. Main ingredient is clethodim. Go to keystonepestsolutions.com and do a search on clethodim. You will find a much less expensive generic.

Now is the time to smoke grass in a clover plot. The heat stress will aid big time. But you can spray any time the grass is actively growing. Both arrest and generic clethodim labels call for adding a crop oil in your tank mixture. The oil acts as a sticking agent to allow the herbicide to adhere to the grass better.

In my experience the crop oil will also burn and stunt (but not kill) the clover. I now replace the crop oil with a tablespoon of dish detergent/5 gallons of mixture in the tank. It also acts as a sticker with out the burn.

Try to ID the grass in your plot. Often times it isn't grass but rather yellow nut sedge. If it's a sedge you're looking at a much more costly solution. Not even glyphosate (round up) will kill a sedge. For that you need a product like sedgehammer.

I've been growing straight clover plots for years and you can keep them pretty clean with regular mowing. The key is to mow the weeds above the clover flower. This allows the clover to reseed itself while cutting the weeds before they go to seed. Buck on the bag companies will tell you to clip the clover low because deer like new shoots. That's BS. Deer like all clover. If you have broadleaf weed problems 2,4-DB can be combined with the clethodim and sprayed in the same tank. Generic name butyrac. Not to be confused with common 2,4-D which will smoke your clover.

Good plotting to you.
Bill
Button Buck

Return to Habitat & QDMA