Benefits of Food Plotting

Question, tips about Habitat, food plots and Quality Deer Management

Benefits of Food Plotting

Unread postby Teddy Klark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:59 am

Hey guys I want to just put some thoughts out here about the benefits of Food Plotting. I am the owner of a food plot seed company called North Ridge Wildlife Forage, so I am constantly thinking about food plots, and their benefits, how to improve them and so on. So lets talk about some of the benefits of food plotting, in depth. It may just help give you an idea on how to better manage the property you hunt!

1. Digestive health of the deer, this starts from doe who are lactating and feeding their young fawns. The milk needs to be protein rich, offering deer highly digestible protein rich food is crucial here. And by highly digestible I mean green food, namely clover. Forget the gimmicks and the slogans here, no bait, feed, food plot blend has any where near the DIGESTIBLE protein that clover does. If you plant a clover plot you will notice a high concentration of Doe and fawn using it, this is a good thing, they need the protein and put it to good use!
Now did you know that protein is the largest factor in early stages of antler development. Its helps create a good attachment at the pedicle and therefor a stronger base.
2. Through proper planning you can offer deer the proper nutrition they need year round. Clover for doe and fawn in the spring and summer, as well as healthier antlers. Brassicas and turnips for a high carb diet in the cold winter months when they are burning energy just to simply stay warm. Travel routes in grains and annuals to offer a variety of greens as they travel to keep them fueled and healthy. Mix this with hinge cutting to offer more woody browse and your deer will have literally everything they need nutrition wise
3. You can greatly help your deer in the winter months save a lot of energy. Plant a winter food plot near a winter, thermal bedding site. This simply allows the deer to bed in thermal beddings ( pines ) or sunny warmer sheltered areas of your property, and travel only a short distance to the winter food source, saving them energy and distance needed to travel. This will also greatly assist you in finding deer sheds!
4. Food plots vs game feeders and bait. There are a few points here I want to cover as to why food plotting is superior to baiting and running game feeders.
A. Food plots are green meaning more digestible, meaning healthier for the deer.
B. Mature whitetails will tend to stray from un-natural food sources, they tend to be more finicky around feeders and bait sites.
C. Cost, an acre of high end clover seed is average around $60, and will feed deer through out the year and for the next 3-5 years. Where as baiting costs more over time to feed the deer for as long as a food plot does. Also food plots still work when it freezes, and the batteries can't go dead, bears can't tip them over and so on.

So to end I would like to say that with proper planning you can offer your deer more nutrition, more security, less travel when needed, better milk for fawns and the list goes on and on. Offering your deer a natural, green food source is very important. And can completely change your hunting and your property by allowing you to "steer" the deer where you want them.

If you are interested in planting food plots or running mineral sites I ask you to please take the time to check out our webpage http://www.northridgewildlifeforage.com all our blends can be ordered through there as well as our mineral mix. And check us out on social media where we constantly try to give updates and pointers and tips. http://www.facebook.com/NRWFS

Thank you for your time and happy hunting!

Teddy Klark
Attachments
Reaper edited.jpg
Reaper edited.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 703 times
12825651_10101883177618982_1530319019_n.jpg
12825651_10101883177618982_1530319019_n.jpg (107.93 KiB) Viewed 703 times
12834510_10101883179265682_1718002051_n.jpg
12834510_10101883179265682_1718002051_n.jpg (99.12 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Teddy Klark
spike

Re: Benefits of Food Plotting

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:05 am

Teddy thanks so much for your write up on this topic today well done . this sure is the time of year again to prepare all the soil on your land . let's talk food plots this weekend :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Re: Benefits of Food Plotting

Unread postby Teddy Klark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:10 am

Absolutely, The spring planting season is right around the corner. Time to frost seed your existing clover plots is right now! And in a few weeks it will be time to spray the freshly greened up new plot areas, turn them and seed them for clover and chicory plots!

May be my favorite time of the year, can you tell HAHA : )
Teddy Klark
spike

Return to Habitat & QDMA