Some habitat improvements

Question, tips about Habitat, food plots and Quality Deer Management

Re: Some habitat improvements

Unread postby JerseyJaysTaxidermy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks. Been busting my butt.
Just took some photos of the new growth

People who have done it says 5 years later it will be so thick you can't see through it.

My problem is I still want to pull the firewood. Got a few chords dropped that I don't want wasted.. now for me to get them out I need to destroy some of the new growthImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
JerseyJaysTaxidermy
spike

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:30 pm

plenty of whitetails should take up housekeeping on that parcel of land , jason best of luck all fall and winter in whitetail heaven :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby Sgt Fury » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 pm

You put some serious work in, that's for sure. Are you going to plant anything like blackberry or honeysuckle? That would thicken up and maybe become a small bedding area...and a nice place to look for sheds every year. Looks like the work that you've already done is making the deer spend more time on your land and not just passing through. I'd be interested in seeing pictures every year to see how the habitat progresses. Good luck.
Sgt Fury
Button Buck

Unread postby JerseyJaysTaxidermy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:02 pm

There is a nice grape vine doing very well now. I had a few that I cut before I knew they made excellent cover and food for deer.

I planted 50 Norway spruce, and I plan on putting in more and some cedars each spring.

Not sure about blackberries or honeysuckle. I haven't researched much on those. I have a few raspberry bushes on front end of the land near the clovers and fruit trees.

I got alot of bears around too, so I'm not sure what to plant. I don't want anything invasive .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
JerseyJaysTaxidermy
spike

Previous

Return to Habitat & QDMA