Best 12g Shotgun Ammo For Deer

Best 12g Shotgun Ammo For Deer

Unread postby JaybobHoosier » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Fairly new to guns in general, and it's something I'm really looking getting into. I have a good mentor in my father-in-law, who is a Sheriff's deputy who is big into guns, but he's 3 hours away and I don't like bugging him with stuff. I have a 12g Mossberg 500, and wanting to get some opinions on good ammo for deer hunting. I know there are a lot of options for buckshot/etc., so just curious what you all think.

For the last 5 years, I get to to to my hometown's Sportsman's Club Banquet. My father-in-law is one of the main guys, so while it's a blast to go, we like to go in support of him. After 5 years, I finally won a gun! Won a Ruger SR 22 handgun. Excited to get to shoot that soon, already stocking up on ammo.)
Faith, Family, and Outdoors!
JaybobHoosier
Button Buck

Re: Best 12g Shotgun Ammo For Deer

Unread postby Turkeyhunter50 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Jbhoosier, Your question is more involved than you might have thought. I'm a slug shooter. I like shooting where I can cover alot of ground. That's just me. Field or hardwood. I shoot a Remington 1100 with a Hastings slug barrel topped with a Redfield 2x-7x post/cross hair scope. Now shooting Remington Accu-tips. At 200 yds or so, it's get the knife out, it's a done deal. BUT, that wasn't without a lot of testing various brands of slugs, weights, and shell lengths to know what works the best for me. Your post sounds like you are leaning towards buckshot. If you have a fixed choke barrel, your not going to be involved in the different brands of choke tubes, ported or non-ported, or the muzzle constructions of the different versions. With that said, I like to use the corrugated plastic "election" or advertising signs that simply get pushed in the ground for target supports. Staple your targets onto them. Set-up to shoot 40yds to begin with. Shoot from a SOLID bench or table. Use a gun vise or sand bags. Your looking to test the shells capability/performance in that firearm, not the shooter. As for shells... OOO, OO, 1 buck, etc will typically shoot different. Most have lead pellets . Shells in 2 3/4", 3" ,or 3 1/2". Winchester, Federal, Hornady, Remington etc. Serveral brands and each with different lines of shells offered giving different rates of burn, wad configurations, and pellet sizes. The possibilities are almost endless. Drastic result differences down range between some of them. Bottom line, there is no simple answer to your question. To know your effective kill range and to know what you can legitimately expect out there, you need to test fire different brands and shot sizes to see your effective pellet count/pattern. Buy a 5 pack of different ones your interested in and test them. Unfortunately, I don't have any particular shell to recommend trying but you mentioned your a bit new to this. Just trying to point you a little towards the right direction with some basics to get your gun into a deer dropping machine. Hopefully, some buckshot shooters will chime in with their personal preferences. Good luck out there with your hunting.
Turkeyhunter50
spike

Re: Best 12g Shotgun Ammo For Deer

Unread postby ted b » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Listen to Mike or I will have going out and buying a 20ga slug gun and about a 100 dollars worth of slugs to find witch shoots best from your gun. Also type of hunting conditions you hunt long open field or open woods or thick stuff or drives or swAmps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Return to Firearms & Ammuntion