Has anyone done a DIY hunt out west?

Has anyone done a DIY hunt out west?

Unread postby MorrisBuck » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Not that ill be able to go anytime soon, but I was wondering if anyone has done a do it yourself hunt for pronghorn, sheep, goat, or any other game out west? If you have, can you share a picture or two. I'm just trying to see what experiences people have had with the DIY hunts, because I want to do DIY in the future.
MorrisBuck
y buck

Re: Has anyone done a DIY hunt out west?

Unread postby DV1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:58 pm

I've done some bow hunts for elk on public land, in over the counter units in Colorado. It's a very rewarding hunt but a few warnings before you do it.

Be in good shape, especially if you are going the DIY route. The altitude can sneak up on you. The trips cost me under $2000.00 total for 2 weeks in the Rockies , but we camped, packed our gear in and elk out ourselves, pre-cooked and brought food, or packed Mountain House meals. If you want a hotel, or to hire pack mules or horses, it gets more expensive. Of course, outfitters cost a lot more too.

Another warning I think is appropriate is that once you do it, you will be ruined on NJ hunting. Between my Western hunts and Ohio whitetail hunts, I no longer have much desire to hunt these horrible conditions on NJ public land. You're going to love going out west, and hate that you are stuck in NJ after a while.
DV1
6 pointer

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Doug fine piece writing well done . I miss your old profile photo :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby Turkeyboy44 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:57 pm

Pm sent
45 lb Hoyt Dorado Recurve ( at my draw length its right about 50 lbs)
500 Gold Tip traditional xt arrows
Grizzly Stik silver flame and Maasai broadheads

SLAYEROFDEER
Stickbowkilla
Turkeyboy44
Droptine

Unread postby MorrisBuck » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:45 pm

DV1 wrote:I've done some bow hunts for elk on public land, in over the counter units in Colorado. It's a very rewarding hunt but a few warnings before you do it.

Be in good shape, especially if you are going the DIY route. The altitude can sneak up on you. The trips cost me under $2000.00 total for 2 weeks in the Rockies , but we camped, packed our gear in and elk out ourselves, pre-cooked and brought food, or packed Mountain House meals. If you want a hotel, or to hire pack mules or horses, it gets more expensive. Of course, outfitters cost a lot more too.

Another warning I think is appropriate is that once you do it, you will be ruined on NJ hunting. Between my Western hunts and Ohio whitetail hunts, I no longer have much desire to hunt these horrible conditions on NJ public land. You're going to love going out west, and hate that you are stuck in NJ after a while.

Thanks DV that is very informative. I don't think ill ever be ruined on NJ hunting because it is where I learned to hunt and I have had a lot of great hunting experiences in our fine state.
MorrisBuck
y buck

Return to Big Game