2017 SOUTH JERSEY SPORTSMAN JAMBOREE

2017 SOUTH JERSEY SPORTSMAN JAMBOREE

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:09 pm

All,
After attending this past weekends jamboree at Bangers it got my wheels turning. I was there Saturday with some fellow voice members and foot traffic was decent. I can't speak for Sunday, but Tom said it was less with a shot of people around 2:00/2:30ish. What can we do as a group to hit it out of the park?? Tom suggested a move before spring turkey season? Cooler temps and we'll all have cabin fever by then! lol We could have NJ state turkey champ and calling contest. I could bring my buddies mobile griil/pit and cook up some venison and normal hot dogs and burgers. Make the OV booth more like a hunting camp setting? Laid back and inviting to people!! I was just sitting in front of my computer at lunch killing time! lol

So I guess I'm looking for the 3000 strong members feedback we have! Lets take some of the for thought off of Tom, Pete and company. I remember going to the one on Union rd. back in the day that place was packed both days! It was pretty impressive! Lets bring it back!! I know we all live busy lives with work and family, but I think if we put our heads together we can make this something positive, successful and fun!! :D :D
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
VPA 3Blade Broadhead
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
NWTF - Tri-County Longbeards
Thunderchicken
8 Pointer

Re: 2017 SOUTH JERSEY SPORTSMAN JAMBOREE

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Thunderchicken,
I agree it's a tough time in summer months. I was not able to make it had work and family stuff on Sunday. Yes I like your idea about the cooking. I think they have it in August is there are more people hunt Deer and the local sporting stores are having there whitetail weekends. Hey your idea is a good one and we do have a almost a year to get something together. Hey OV members lets get some ideas out there.
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Unread postby DT-MASportsman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Thunderchicken,

As a vendor, it was pretty slow for us. We didn't do bad, but not great for a 2 day event. I will definitely help out of Tom or anyone needs help in planning for next years event.

I agree maybe a april or May date would be better. Also the planning and vendor procurement for next years show needs to start now. I know they were looking for vendors as the show got closer, but we had a psychic on one side of us, bath fitter behind us and mid-Atlantic waterproofing next to them. Besides rednecks pride and us (and I could be wrong) but I did not see any other vendors selling hunting or fishing gear. I know there was a jerkey vendor next to us and that was fine (and Jerkey was awesome) and next to them was a bug spray company. But other than that it was jewelry and furniture. Oh and Woods and Waves apparel, They were great too with some awesome outdoors/south jersey related t shirts and other products.

As someone coming to the show if I saw mostly non outdoors gear I wouldn't be too keen on staying long or coming back the next year.

Another suggestion is all the vendors and booths in general should be laid out so everyone who comes through has to walk by everyone else. The two separate side entrances and entrance through the store make it hard to push people past everyone.

Another thing I noticed as a vendor is a lot of vendors started packing up way early. Most of the shows we go to state you must stay the entire allotted time as a vendor. Which is good because when someone shows up and sees half the vendors packing up 2 or 3 hours early it doesn't make them stay either. Overall it wasn't a bad couple days. I think with some more planning and promoting it could be packed, and like I said I'd be glad to help promote and reach out to my contacts to get more interest

Dave T
The Mid-Atlantic Sportsman
Bowtech Insanity CPXL

Check out my blog - M-ASportsman.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter - twitter.com/DT_MASportsman
DT-MASportsman
6 pointer

Unread postby DT-MASportsman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Also we should definitely promote The Outdoorsmens Voice more as well. Make the booth bigger maybe make some displays showing the different contests that we host here. The Whitetail Contest, Turkey Contest and Fluke Contest displays would be neat and can be as simple as making some signs and displays showing the year before champs.

Have some computers there and big monitors showing the website and let people scroll through the site, forums and Pete's videos while your waking by. Even a big monitor with a constant stream of Pete's videos and all of the members videos playing the whole time.
Bowtech Insanity CPXL

DT-MASportsman
6 pointer

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:27 pm

Dave,
I agree! Being my first time at this venue the layout of the vendors should be looked at! We as a whole can reach out to everyone's contacts and make it more for the sportsman! Yes the other vendors were nice, but if we all can pull our resources we can get quality vendors and a more target audience! Like Phillyarcher said we have a year to plan and help out Tom!! Thanks for the input!! Keep it coming guys and girls!! :D
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
VPA 3Blade Broadhead
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
Thunderchicken
8 Pointer

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:31 pm

DT-MASportsman wrote:Also we should definitely promote The Outdoorsmens Voice more as well. Make the booth bigger maybe make some displays showing the different contests that we host here. The Whitetail Contest, Turkey Contest and Fluke Contest displays would be neat and can be as simple as making some signs and displays showing the year before champs.

Have some computers there and big monitors showing the website and let people scroll through the site, forums and Pete's videos while your waking by. Even a big monitor with a constant stream of Pete's videos and all of the members videos playing the whole time.

Agreed! We can build a nice booth! We have enough woodchucks in our group!! Also have OV members bring some mounts to make the booth pop!!
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
VPA 3Blade Broadhead
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
Thunderchicken
8 Pointer

Unread postby ub1243 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:54 pm

i wouldn't move it to turkey season. we see what happened when the show was still on Union Rd, and on opening weekend of early deer season.

you have to look at what other calling competitions are going on at that time. don't just settle on a date. you didn't have many callers. just a few that need to call in the local sanctioned events to make them eligible for nationals.

it is vacation season now.
i missed year 2 because of it.
year 1 was big. i had a Campbell's table. a lot of people, all day long. but i think it was just one day. and it rained. but they came in numbers. it seemed like more vendors on year 1.

i didn't like the vendors down by the shooting range. didn't even walk down there. only saw the one food vendor. but, never saw a line there either.
it is tough to charge for tables with no power. at bigger shows, everyone or many, get 110v. you can run screens with videos on loop. you can run pumps for water in tanks, blenders.
speaking of that, the best booth i saw at a NY show in the winter, wine slushie booth. i donated a few bucks, my wife, more than i. not sure how NJ would handle that, but we have plenty of wineries in south jersey.
no dog breeders interested? dog chew toy people? there is one at Cowtown.
NJ Fish and Game? they are at the Tuckerton show every year.

maybe go to the tuckerton show and talk with the dog booths, belt guy, rope guy, fish and game, i see Dave had his decoys there, plenty more would take a cheap booth-JODE?

just a few ideas, from a guy that doesn't have to run a show.
United Bowhunters of NJ
NJ Fur Harvesters
NJ State Trappers Association
National Trapping Association-NJ Rep
ub1243
8 Pointer

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:07 pm

ub1243 wrote:i wouldn't move it to turkey season. we see what happened when the show was still on Union Rd, and on opening weekend of early deer season.

you have to look at what other calling competitions are going on at that time. don't just settle on a date. you didn't have many callers. just a few that need to call in the local sanctioned events to make them eligible for nationals.

it is vacation season now.
i missed year 2 because of it.
year 1 was big. i had a Campbell's table. a lot of people, all day long. but i think it was just one day. and it rained. but they came in numbers. it seemed like more vendors on year 1.

i didn't like the vendors down by the shooting range. didn't even walk down there. only saw the one food vendor. but, never saw a line there either.
it is tough to charge for tables with no power. at bigger shows, everyone or many, get 110v. you can run screens with videos on loop. you can run pumps for water in tanks, blenders.
speaking of that, the best booth i saw at a NY show in the winter, wine slushie booth. i donated a few bucks, my wife, more than i. not sure how NJ would handle that, but we have plenty of wineries in south jersey.
no dog breeders interested? dog chew toy people? there is one at Cowtown.
NJ Fish and Game? they are at the Tuckerton show every year.

maybe go to the tuckerton show and talk with the dog booths, belt guy, rope guy, fish and game, i see Dave had his decoys there, plenty more would take a cheap booth-JODE?

just a few ideas, from a guy that doesn't have to run a show.

UB I agree with most of what you said, but I would definitely consider moving it before turkey season. Nobody wants to come out to a outdoor event in the dog days of summer! To your point vacation season is in full swing! If we chose a date correctly we could draw a good calling contest crowd! Just my 2 cents. :lol:
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
VPA 3Blade Broadhead
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
Thunderchicken
8 Pointer

Unread postby DT-MASportsman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:11 pm

I agree with UB on the hunting/dog vendors. But I also think more fishing vendors would be great. All of the fishing shows we go to are absolutely mobbed. Small elks lodges and VFWs will push through over 1000 people for a one day fishing flea market. Like I said a better booth layout and more hunting and fishing vendors is key.

Also need to get the vendors list out 2-3 months ahead of time.
Bowtech Insanity CPXL

DT-MASportsman
6 pointer

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Phillyarcher, Dave and UB awesome ideas!! That's why I like this site! The comradery and unselfishness!! We're just scratching the surface and with a year to go!! Should be a great show and great plug for the Outdoorsmansvoice !! :D :D :D
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
VPA 3Blade Broadhead
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
Thunderchicken
8 Pointer

Next

Return to Big Game