2017 SOUTH JERSEY SPORTSMAN JAMBOREE

Re: 2017 SOUTH JERSEY SPORTSMAN JAMBOREE

Unread postby DV1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 pm

I didn't make this years show, was out in Ohio setting cams and scouting some. I did go the first year and thought it was pretty good. I agree with making the OV booth bigger, should be a center piece of the show. I also don't think you should have it around turkey season. At that time, you're dealing with the beginning of trout season, and the weather then can be very unpredictable. We've had plenty of cold rains at that time of year and I think that would put a bigger damper on the turnout than the heat does.

I don't think the show was advertised that well. I didn't see it anywhere but here and even then, it was only a short post. I'm guessing Bangers had something up in the store but I haven't been out there in a while. Did they have a big sale? I can't remember many sales last year but other shows usually have pretty big discounts during the show and send out sale papers. I guess the shows of the old days like those at Harry's and Sportsman's Center are not coming back but you could try to replicate them. That would pull in a lot of people.
DV1
6 pointer

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:20 pm

From what I read so far is that there was only two venders that 1 was fishing and one hunting both members from the site. At the bottom of the site there are outfitters and other venders that we should contact and see if they would come and do the show. I think the one outfitter fron Ohio was there last year. I also think that some of the members have a lot to offer and we could put seminars into the show promoting the OV. One thought is to have right after Turkey season and before the vacation season starts maybe beginning of June.
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:00 am

Awesome feedback that I appreciate greatly. Also welcome any help. Please keep them coming. I certainly don't have the answers.

Couple quick responses;
First year was best. OV had 200 members join in 2 weeks and overall most foot traffic.

Date is extremely hard, we moved this year to be after 4h fairs and soccer tourneys. If go later there's Tuckerton, if early vacations and heat.

Agree it is an issue with vendors leaving early, most pulled out 12-12:30 Sunday and actually had a fair amount of people come round 2-4 and walk in, walk out.

Last year I had Impallasspeed96 Ohio buck up at the booth and also had large monitor playing OV videos.
Have wanted to do a nicer booth but haven't had the time with trying to organize the jamboree and call contest.

As far as promoting, this year Chuck at Bangers spent over 5k on advertising. Was promoted(not sure which) but Philly radio station, ESPN Rack n Fin radio, several blast emails by Bangers, 2 by OV, was on Woods n Water and DT-MASportsman blog. Was in the reminder
But yes can always do more or better.

Hunter Education going on both days.
Last 2 years NJOA, Sportsmen Federation and Fish and Game where all there, they all passed this year. Any organization promoting the outdoors gets a free booth. It has been extremely hard to get vendors, organizations and anyone to do seminars. when talking with most we have even offered to others free booths.
We have tried to get more fishing more and would love to have more.

Truthfully right now it is leaning towards not doing a whole Jamboree. Although the purpose isn't to make money, it is to have a good outdoors event for the area. The amount of money Bangers has lost each year is stunning.
But a decision has not been made, will have a meeting in approx 3 weeks. If anyone interested in going let me know.

Thoughts are maybe a scaled down SJ spring fling??
Turkey seminars, sign up for the Bangers/OV spring turkey contest, NWTF calling contest, NWTF Jakes day and BB trailer, Outdoorsmensvoice appreciation day with free BBQ, score your whitetail. Maybe Trout contest and weigh in?
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:00 am

Count me in!!
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
VPA 3Blade Broadhead
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
NWTF - Tri-County Longbeards
Thunderchicken
6 pointer

Unread postby Bpskulls » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:45 am

From what I have seen. The past couple years were such a disappointment that guys are not coming back. I tried to get guys to go and nobody wanted to go. It's a shame but that word of mouth is the biggest advertisement and when the word is bad so is the turnout. I hope that they continue to have something and it all works out.
Bpskulls
6 pointer

Unread postby DV1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:54 pm

It's a shame what has happened here. 15-20 years ago, NJ had some great Sportsmen's shows, great vendors, plenty of deals, and very large crowds. The shows at Harry's and Sportsmen's Center, as well as the one on Union Road in Millville were all very well attended, and a good way to spend the day. I've never been to the Tuckerton show so I can't comment on that one but I don't think those other ones I mentioned even exist any longer. If you could just recreate that atmosphere at Bangers...
DV1
6 pointer

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:05 pm

DV1 wrote:It's a shame what has happened here. 15-20 years ago, NJ had some great Sportsmen's shows, great vendors, plenty of deals, and very large crowds. The shows at Harry's and Sportsmen's Center, as well as the one on Union Road in Millville were all very well attended, and a good way to spend the day. I've never been to the Tuckerton show so I can't comment on that one but I don't think those other ones I mentioned even exist any longer. If you could just recreate that atmosphere at Bangers...

Totally agree!!
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
VPA 3Blade Broadhead
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
NWTF - Tri-County Longbeards
Thunderchicken
6 pointer

Unread postby Silver Belly62 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:08 pm

I was not able to go this year to the Jamboree but was hoping they would have had a great turnout because everyone involved has put a lot of work into it. I remember always making the trip when the Sportsmens Center had their event and also for the Jamboree when it was in Millville and always had a great time.

Personally I think there are several factors that "make or break" these events anymore. The most important one being is location. You can have a great idea for a event, business, or social gathering but if it's not held in a convenient area to pull in people from many different areas(NJ,PA,DE,MD) it's going to be that much harder for any given event to be a success. For example, has anyone considered looking into or having it at a place like the Salem County Fair grounds or something similar ? The fair grounds has all kinds of events during the year from car shows, festivals, club events, etc. Plenty of on site parking, and other buildings etc not to mention easy access from NJTP, RT 295, and Del Bridge areas. I've been to other hunting/trapping events out of state and that's where a lot of them are held, at a local fair grounds. Bangers is a great place and I've used their services many times and with no complaints. But in having a event like this you need to have it at a location where you have room to grow if it gets bigger not to mention convenience. You need safe parking areas where people are not parking half mile then having to walk up a roadway. Some vendors may have camper trailers, etc that would make the trip for the show if they could use them on site instead of having to put out fee's for hotels, etc. Not to mention if you have bad weather. They have open pole barn buildings and enclosed that might be available where it could help prevent the event from being cancelled or rescheduled after doing all that work most of the year leading up to it. Not sure what is required in use of the buildings if needed but couldn't hurt to look into it as a option. It can still be hosted by Bangers & OV, or whoever but just at another location to help make the event a success overall.

As for the date I think that will always be a problem of some sort but I would consider taking a look at maybe around the middle of May. Just a few suggestions I have if it helps
NJ Fur Harvesters
SCI
Silver Belly62
6 pointer

Unread postby ImpalaSSpeed96 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:59 am

I personally think silver belly hit it, it's a really poor location. I forgot about it on Sunday until it was too late. I was just going to say hi to some folks. I had heard from some people there it was a really bad showing this year and next year....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Tim

Stick and string, how I do my thing....
ImpalaSSpeed96
12 Pointer

Previous

Return to Big Game