Black Bears, here and in Florida

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:49 pm

For the last few Springs, we've been seeing black bear in the Delaware Valley in places where they haven't been seen for a long time (if ever!). Apparently, the black bear population in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey is booming, forcing young bears to go farther afield to find territory. Some of them are setting up house in areas with large human populations, and becoming nuisance bears. What do you think? Will Spring bring us a lot of wandering bears?

In other black bear news, I've heard rumors that the State of Florida is going to resume having a black bear hunting season for the first time since 1971. I've investigated that a bit; as it turns out, they're considering it but you shouldn't hold your breath! Here's the skinny from the website of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission:

What would it take to hunt bears?

The question of whether to hunt Florida black bears is being carefully considered from various perspectives including stakeholders, the public and elected officials. One of the factors that will be important in those discussions is to know the current bear population. The FWC’s most recent statewide population estimate is from 2002. We are currently updating our population estimates in phases. We anticipate all analyses will be complete as early as the summer of 2016. In addition to population information, the FWC would consider how hunting might affect the population objectives for the particular area proposed for hunting. While most areas in Florida have adequate numbers of bears, others are below the plan's population objectives and so would not be considered for hunting. FWC would also need to evaluate the social dimensions of this issue, by considering input from the local community where hunting may be considered, as well from a statewide public-policy perspective before making a final decision.

If you want to know more, see:

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/manag ... ting-faqs/
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Re: Black Bears, here and in Florida

Unread postby Saltlife32084 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm moving to Florida and that would be great I also want to hunt pigs but from what I understand it has to be on private land I wonder if that's how they will do the bear hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saltlife32084
Button Buck

Unread postby Tollkeeper » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Yet another interesting article from the one & only Biggamecameraman. Thanks for the write - up Pete . This site is better for gathering outdoor information than most magazines I've read ........& it's all FREE ! Keep up your diligent work ethic .
Tollkeeper
6 pointer

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:45 pm

thanks T.K. :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Return to Bear Hunting