Looking for some north jersey help

Looking for some north jersey help

Unread postby Thk033007 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:04 pm

Piled a tag for bear in zone 1 the del water gap. Never hunted bear bedore but I'm going the first 3 days. What should I do to prep and what signs should I look for. Thanks for any input
Thk033007
Button Buck

Re: Looking for some north jersey help

Unread postby arizzitaxidermy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:43 am

they travel on runs just like deer...you cant bait them in nj...I heard people walk around up there alot and get them moving....the bigger the poop the bigger the bear
arizzitaxidermy
y buck

Unread postby NJTrapper » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:36 am

I'm up here in Warren County. The area you are talking about is big woods. Although you cannot bait on Federal land, you most certainly can bait on private and WMA land.
I don't know where you are, or how long your drive would be to this area, but you still have time to scout. I would start with a topo map of the area you plan on going to and look for swamp area's and ridges with acorns.
Of course, it all depends on the weather during 6 day. If it's like the past 2 years up here, lots of the bears will be denned up.
NJTrapper
Button Buck

Unread postby bowhuntercop » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:49 pm

NJTrapper is 100% correct. I hunt the GAP land, but I have access to 40 acres that borders it, I can do as I please but no hunting, so I bait once a week on the 40 acres, I have many bears hitting it, but in the last two weeks the bears only came in once during daylight hours, now it's all night movement. One sow in the last two weeks must of put on nearly 100 lbs

Just yesterday I took two southern NJ hunters on a tour of the GAP, showed them a spot that is well secluded and out of the way.....I hope they they get or at least bears
bowhuntercop
Button Buck

Unread postby Thk033007 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks guys. I'm not even sure I'll be going. Gettin ready to take on a new job soon so idk. Hopefully I will be able to make it. Don't have the time to go scout either so I may just wing it for a few days if I go
Thk033007
Button Buck

Unread postby Hunt4life » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Many guys drive them like deer. If you have a couple buds and a good pair of hiking boots, you can be very successful.
Hunt4life
6 pointer

Return to Bear Hunting