DO you use a locator call in the morning to pin point

DO you use a locator call in the morning

Yes feel it is a must and will not spoke them
4%
No I sit and listen and when I hear then I set up, I don't want a locator spooking them.
13%
No I roost night before and then just set up early.
26%
Don't feel its a must, but use them and don't feel they spook them
57%

Total votes : 23

DO you use a locator call in the morning to pin point

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 am

I feel it is a must, me and biggamecamerman always have this debate :lol: Biggamecameraman is worried that it will spook them and I'm more worried about us spooking the birds.

I prefer trying to roost them night before, so they go to sleep thinking about that one hot chick then get there earlier in the morning, get close and confirm with a locator. I want to be set up 15-20 mins before fly down.

In South Jersey with so many small lots, houses, owls, coyotoes I think it is a must to use a Owl or other locator call in the morning. Even if you watch them enter the woods the night before a lot can happen.

Last year was a perfect example, I watched right at dark 6 + males enter the opposite side of the woods, 1 hen stayed on the other side. When we set up in the morning I wanted to set up where the one hens was but we decided to set up where the males went. Well wouldn't you know it, as the woods started to wake all the birds where on the side where the one hen went.

Just my thoughts, lets hear yours
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Re: DO you use a locator call in the morning to pin point

Unread postby Turkeyboy44 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:40 am

90 of the time i locate the night befor so i can slip in with out much noise and no light i have found in my spots letting the birds do the own thing in the morning works better not saying i never locator called in the morning because i have but i found if you be your home work the night befor the hunt or even a week befor on privet spots they will be there with no problems in the morning now do you use a owl or a crow call thats the next pole or even a yot howl to locate i do owl calls but i dont have a call for it i just do it with my own voice works every well
45 lb Hoyt Dorado Recurve ( at my draw length its right about 50 lbs)
500 Gold Tip traditional xt arrows
Grizzly Stik silver flame and Maasai broadheads

SLAYEROFDEER
Stickbowkilla
Turkeyboy44
Droptine

Unread postby Turkeyboy44 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:46 am

forgot in this one spot i hunt i have to sound like a cow LOL its a cow farm and they go nuts when the cows sound off

SLAYEROFDEER
Stickbowkilla
Turkeyboy44
Droptine

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 am

Tom I don't use one, not exactly sure why I don't. I guess I am somewhat afraid of spooking them. Most of the spots I hunt the birds roost in traditional roosting spots. I will get in as close as I can with out spooking them. Listen and wait. Maybe I should use one because I am not very successful at killing birds off the roost. Lol!
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Unread postby Turkeyboy44 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 am

hey big city do it the night befor you hunt blow a car horn or something they are used to hearing LOL im just playing but try a owl call the night befor you hunt or some soft tree yulps because the hens talk on the roost at night time also that way you know where to go and set up but dont get to close to a bird gobbling the night befor the hunt you will spook them if you here one sound off leave and go hunt the next day try it this season you might kill one off the roost last season me and my uncle 10 ga had them fly right down into 15 yards from us boom over LOL

SLAYEROFDEER
Stickbowkilla
Turkeyboy44
Droptine

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:36 am

Ok TB 44 I will try that. Thanks. Just for the record I do most of my turkey hunting upstate Pa. Lol!
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Unread postby Meatonstick » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:59 am

Is it a must? No. Do I prefer too. Yes! I have been putting the birds to bed every time I have been going or at least checking to see where the freshest of sign is and stay about 200 yds from there. I don't feel the locator calls spook them. I think the birds are just in different moods constantly and you have to " take their temperature" as one of the best turkey hunters I know says from time to time! I also feel not using locator calls is just silly. Your wasting valuable set up time. Its kinda like 4 wheel drive. If you get stuck, you put it in 4 wheel. And hopefully you crawl out. You go in the woods you use locator. If by chance they don't answer which I have had a couple times then you set up where you THINK they may be. But again not getting to close. Overall I think my locator calls are just as important as my box, mouth, and slate calls. They only instance where I wouldn't use a locator is if I could see the outline of the birds for somereason ...then I would sneak in and just get ready. Maybe throw a couple really soft purrs let him know there's a new girl in town and she is ready to get down!!! Haha god I love turkey hunting!! I cannot wait!!!!!!
Meatonstick
Droptine

Unread postby longbeard56 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:47 am

I believe it's all situation driven. If you can and know the woods your hunting I like to try to locate them at roost time. To be honest I usually use a Turkey call to do so. If the gobbler answers me I like the last thing he hears before he nods off to be the 1st thing he hears in the morning. But Roosted don't mean Roasted.

I carry an Owl call and Crow. And if I'm buried down in a Holler in the South or Hill country sometimes I need some extra help to get it done. Best way to locate them in the mid-day is to slam some excited yelps at them out of your box call. Walk & Talk with your call.

Lastly sometimes I like to just cautiously work my way to a point in the dark and wait until I hear a bird before i plan my hunt. I especially like to do this when I'm hunting birds that have been pressured. They need to hear as little calling as possible.

One thing is for sure you have to be in the woods for any of it to work.
longbeard 56
NJNWTF State Chapter President
Save the Habitat & Save the Hunt
609-350-3134
longbeard56
10 Pointer

Unread postby longbeard56 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:51 am

Hey Meat. just for the record you are officially hooked to chasing Gobblers and I love it.
I know you like to Deer hunt as well but I can tell little by little your leaving the dark side and becoming a Tenth Legionnaire. I notice a pile more of detail and excitement in your Turkey posts then the Deer. Just Saying.

Don't get me wrong Deer hunting does serve as a good pastime until we can get back to the birds.

That comment ought to spin some heads!!! :D
longbeard 56
609-350-3134
longbeard56
10 Pointer

Unread postby longbeard56 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 am

Big City. Those upstate PA Gobblers are a challenging group of rascals. I Deer hunted in Clearfields cty for many years and happily with good success. Now consistent success on Mountain birds is another story. These guys really know there turf and use it well. The sloughs ,bench's and such in those hills can really challenge your ears. Not that you can't kill them just need to adjust your hunt vs hunting them here in the flats.
I always throw a few more Kudo's to you guys hunting them up in the hills.
longbeard 56
609-350-3134
longbeard56
10 Pointer

Next

Return to Turkey Hunting