Tournament bass fishing

Anything to do with or about fishing

Tournament bass fishing

Unread postby Fishing Zink » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:56 pm

Would like to start a forum to help people understand bass fishing tournaments. Or just ask question about bass fishing. Ask about tidal or non tidal water. Anything you might want to know about bass fishing. I will try and help you understand what to do or try. The week of feb 17-23 I won't be on much as I will be at bass master classic in hart well South Carolina. Also if you looking to watch the pros of BASS. The will be on the upper bay in August here in maryland.
Fishing Zink
Button Buck

Re: Tournament bass fishing

Unread postby Fishing Zink » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:44 am

So one thing I am always asked this time of year is what type of line do you use. Well I use 12lbs line Floro carbon and 75lbs power po braid. But what you have to remember is use what you have cofineance in. If I am going to a clear lake and the biggest fish caught was 6 lbs I am most likely use a 8 lbs line.
Now with that said. We all spend a lot of money if your like me you change your line every year. Well a way to help that is to use a backing line leave some old line on and then put a small piece of electrical tape on that line.
From there put you new line on a spool your reel the rest of the way. How much backing line you leave depends on how much you change your line through out the year. But just some tips to save money and time.
Fishing Zink
Button Buck

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:08 pm

thanks for this weekends tip , nice piece of writing :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby Tollkeeper » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:57 pm

Hey Zinc, welcome to The Voice! Interesting fish in your avatar. Definitely interested in bass fishing tips. I'll be looking for your posts, especially with warmer temps coming soon.
Are you strictly freshwater,or do you fish stripers too? Personally, I'm more a striper fisherman, but do both. I already employ your "backing" tip. The rocks on those jetties tear up line in a hurry. Always looking to save a buck. Still struggling with learning a good joining knot though..... Catch 'em up!
Tollkeeper
6 pointer

Unread postby hardcoresportsmen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:58 pm

welcome to the site :D
hardcoresportsmen
y buck

Unread postby Fishing Zink » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Tollkeeper.
I do striped fishing when the move up on the flats here in Maryland. Depending on the type of line you use, test make a big decision on what type of knot. The polymer knot is my go to knot it's been around for ever. Always remember to wet line before you pull it tight friction in the line will make a knot week. Hope this helps. Below are a few examples of how I tie.
Make a 10 inch loop in the line, then pass through the eye
If the eye is large enough, pass the loop through a second time
Tie a simple overhand knot, but don't tie it tight
Pass your tackle through the loop
Pull on your standing line to tighten the knot, then trim the tag end
The clinch knot is the other I use but I doulble the line first.
Thread line through hook leaving several inches of line to work with
Wrap end of line around standing portion five times
Bring end back and insert between hook and first opening in wrap
Turn end upward and draw through large loop created by previous step
Pull on hook and line at the same time to tighten
Fishing Zink
Button Buck

Unread postby Tollkeeper » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:47 pm

Thanks for the comeback Zinc. Like you, I swear by the polymer knot. Tried & true, strong, dependable knot there man! A little tough when tying on a 7 inch bomber with 3 trebles & fighting waves though. What I'm looking for is learning to tie an adjoining knot from the backing line as you had mentioned. Maybe a bloodknot, but I'm all thumbs & a little damp. I probably need some " hands on ".
Tollkeeper
6 pointer

Unread postby Fishing Zink » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Since I use tape over backing line I use a slip knot. Learned tying to back line puts a large knot in line which cause issues with casting. Sorry I can't help on that knot your looking for.
Fishing Zink
Button Buck

Unread postby Meatonstick » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Hey zink, glad you joined up. I also do a lot of bass fishing as well as many other species. I am applying to 2 different bass fishing clubs in my area within the next week and hope to eventually fish in some of these "big boy" tourneys. That's awesome you are involved. It is a great sport and very competitive.
Meatonstick
Droptine

Unread postby Fishing Zink » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:39 pm

It's fun to be in clubs meat. I belong to two clubs that are part of Bass nation and the Flw TBF. In return we fish for spits in the state team.
Another fun way is to look in to being a co angular or non boater in the Flw BfL. Or weekend series Aba. There are a ton of opinions out there.
Good luck and tight lines
Fishing Zink
Button Buck

Next

Return to Fishing Forums