New line on the reels

Anything to do with or about fishing

New line on the reels

Unread postby LD Guide Service » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:14 am

Our river won't be ready to fish for a couple more weeks yet, still iced over. It's time for me to put new line on my 20+ reels for the season. For my baitcasters I start with a strip of friction tape, then a half spool of 30lb Power-pro braid, then for my jigging rods a half spool of a sinking co-polomer line such as Balsax 15-18lb. It's very thin line.
For my top water and cranking rods I use 16lb Stren Magnathin on the second half. If the river clears up, which it seldom does, I'll add a floro leader. This combo gives me extra casting distance with some of the light wt lures we use up here for smallies while keeping the strength if a big pike or musky hits. For spinning reels I'll use 10lb Stren Magnathin on the 2nd half of the spool.
So what do you guys use for river smallies and walleye? :)
LD Guide Service
Button Buck

Re: New line on the reels

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:23 am

lance dunham love the subject , this post could get our fishing forums off to a strong start this weekend :geek: :geek: :geek:
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby 55project » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:37 pm

I use straight mono Trileine on some and straight power pro braid on all the others. :) This way i can tear it thru the rocks. Once and a while i'll tip floro on my braid.
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby Fishing Zink » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:50 pm

Rods are done and ready to go a lot of thinking goes in to line. As a tournament angler I keep it simply. I use 2 different lines. First 75 lbs power pro braid for top water grass fishing and flipping heavy cover. Then second is 14 lbs p line floro carbon. For flipping light cover jigs and cranking that is my tidal water set up. For non tidal keep the same braid. Just change to a 10 lbs Floro carbon for rest. That is here in maryland. Has I hit different bodies of water the line test will change depending on how clear the water is.
Fishing Zink
Button Buck

Return to Fishing Forums