Clamming....

Anything to do with or about fishing

Clamming....

Unread postby Meatonstick » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Hey guys
Just wanted to throw this out here, I'm looking to get into clamming, maybe a trip or two throughout the summer and figured why not try out local waters! Problem is, never did it before. I fish and crab but never went after clams. Anyone a regular at it wanna take a Tag along? Not looking for secret spots and stuff and I will honestly tell you if I'm shown a spot I won't return without permission first! I've had that happen to me before and don't appreciate it so I know how it feels. Willing to split all costs. Thanks!
Meatonstick
Droptine

Re: Clamming....

Unread postby Dastunz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Meat I am by no means a clammer but in years past while fishing the back bays I always tend to get hot an go for a swim. During outgoing/low tide in areas where the current moves fairly quick in the backwater I have always dug up a butt load of clams from the sand. I never looked into the regs on clamming and didn't have the need to keep any so I never did. I'm not sure if they are the clams you can eat or not. My friends and I just tend to see who can dig up the biggest and throw em back. Kind of just something to do while we float around. Not sure if this helps but if you would like to look into it, this may be a place to start. FYI I am down wildwood every weekend in the summer if you ever want to hook up. I don't have a boat but I'm always down for renting a Jon boat to hit the back or grab a rod and hit the surf. If I'm not surfing that is. 8-)
"Fishing is hope experienced.... Catching a fish is hope affirmed." --PAUL QUINNETT
Dastunz
Droptine

Unread postby Meatonstick » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Cool man! Hey I surf too! We usually end up in sea isle but did a lot of surfing in brigatine too. Not as easy to get up after becoming a dad and putting on a few pounds. Lol but I hit it a couple times a summer! Well have to hook up sometime.
Meatonstick
Droptine

Unread postby Virginia Explorer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:29 pm

clamming is a ton of action when done right . but not easy good luck .
Virginia Explorer
y buck

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:45 pm

man throw them back ,,wwwwwwhat thats insane give them to me ,,,hey meatonsk i got some clam rakes i dont even use ,,you can have them one is stainless steel ,the other 2 are wooden handled ,,free if you want them :mrgreen:
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

Unread postby SpearFisherSJ » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Me and a buddy of mine go all the time in the summer but never really used rakes because the clams are close to the surface. In the winter when the clams are down deep we will use the rakes but more work and cold but worth it that time of season. Can't beat fresh clams.
Fire up the gril cuz spearfishing aint catch and release..
SpearFisherSJ
spike

Unread postby mperri » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Clamming is quite the outdoor activity. On more than one occasion have I brought a sea creature to the surface expecting a clam. I have always enjoyed it, never used rakes but sometimes wish I could have. Nothing like being in the bay in the dead of winter and unzipping the wetsuit a little to cool down.
Matthew Perri
mperri
y buck

Unread postby Jode » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:24 pm

This is my favorite time of the year to clam , when not a lot else is going on. Get the 10 dollar permit, hit the back bays behind where you surf and you'll be in business.
Jode
8 Pointer

Unread postby maineguide39 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:39 pm

This is an old topic, but just came on site.

Here in Maine we harvest the surf clams aka "hen" clams. Three bushel limit, no license needed.
We fish the "moon" or real low tides in the surf. Shuck them out for clam cakes and some for off shore bait.
maineguide39
Button Buck

Return to Fishing Forums