Tagging Fish

Anything to do with or about fishing

Tagging Fish

Unread postby Zamboni » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:29 pm

I was wondering if any of the Voice anglers were interested in tagging fish? I have been tagging fish for about 8 years and find it very rewarding. I get more enjoyment from a returned tag than eating the catch. The return is about 5%, so if you tag 20 fish 1 gets returned. I have had three returned and my son has had two, his percent return is better than mine.

My first was a 39" striper caught in Del Bay April 2006 and recaught on Conneticut coast October 2007.

Second: 21" striper caught in Cape May rips 11/25/2010 ; recaught in Del river Phila Pa 3/23/2012, 25"

Third: 28" striper Avalon surf 7/29/2011: recaught Del river at Del Mem Br. 4/09/2012, 30"

I do find the migration interesting. If any voicers are interested contact the American Littoral Society.
It's not your vote that counts but who counts the vote !
Zamboni
y buck

Re: Tagging Fish

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:53 pm

interesting topic , can not wait to learn more ...
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby Meatonstick » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Very cool! I caught a striper in del bay few years ago that had a yellow tag in it. Said littoral society. Didn't know what it was so the fish went back in the water, it was short anyhow. Kinda wish I wrote the info down. Now I know! Good luck with future tagging! I would really like to find out what happened and where do our black drum go?? Some say the draggers ran them out by destroying the shell beds with gear.
Meatonstick
Droptine

Unread postby Zamboni » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:51 pm

I have been told that the fight kills the drum so any drum caught (of legal size) is harvested, I have never caught an undersized drum in case you're wondering. I have only caught 5 drum.

Tagged fish recaught commercially are rarely returned which is a reason for the low 5% return. Fish mortality also large contributing factor.

A family membership of 25.00/yr to the (ALS) American Littoral Society is required before you become a tagger. Tags are initially 10 for 7.00 and then 5.00 for 10. Initial 2.00 extra pays for the needle.

If any voicers catch a tagged fish you can harvest the fish and return the tag; right down the number on tag and send # to the ALS; or if fish is still too small, leave tag in fish right # down, release fish.
Zamboni
y buck

Unread postby Dastunz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Awesome post Kev. Maybe ill give it a go this year.
"Fishing is hope experienced.... Catching a fish is hope affirmed." --PAUL QUINNETT
Dastunz
Droptine

Unread postby Bones » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:53 pm

one from last year that i caught.
I sent the tag to the address and I got a patch and a letter of when and where the fish was tagged at. the flounder was only 16 inch so he was released.
Attachments
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 3825 times
Bones
8 Pointer

Unread postby rocky » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:39 pm

I tagged fish for the ALS for years now. I even tagged a sturgeon once. I wasn't sure if it was legal to do, so afterwards I called them and asked if it was legal to do it and they said "Who is this?" then I hung up. :o

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3719/137 ... 6025_s.jpg
rocky
Button Buck

Unread postby Zamboni » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:15 pm

So is it legal to tag sturgeon, I would think its illegal to remove them from the water but I don't know.
Zamboni
y buck

Unread postby Zamboni » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Well I figured I would revive this thread by posting tagged fish which have been recaught. I will keep this going as I receive the returned tags. I will just give my current tags returned.

Date caught 6/16/2013 ; location Stone Harbor, NJ ; species Striper ; Size 18"
Recaught 5/28/2014 ; location Ocean City, Md. ; Size 22"
Zamboni
y buck

Unread postby BUCKTAIL WILLIE » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:37 pm

I've been tagging for more than a few years and have over 18500 fish tagged that includes 7800 fluke , 6100 striped bass,1700 bluefish,1500 sea bass 950 weakfish and varies smaller numbers .Total species tagged 32. I tagged for ALS and have a 7% return. I'm sure it would be higher if commerical guys would turn them in. I have had fluke returned from commercial boats but tag was sent in by the Federal observer on the boat. I have even had a fluke tag returned from a fish market in Virginia . Given that the current data being used by NOAA is seriously flawed private tagging has provided Woods Hole Labs with siginicant data that supports the flawed NOAA data. I have returned tags from every State from Maine to North Carolina , in addition I have had several striped bass recaught in Delware river as far up river as Easton,Pa
It is very rewarding and very interesting as to how far these fish travel...Even a little 8" sea bass does some travelling as I have had several recaught 2 years later off Nantuckett,Ma
The fish I tag are rarely out of the water more than 20 seconds,tag goes in ,quick measurement and back they go.I use the locking type tag as it is faster... Longest fish out was a striped bass which was out 9 years and recaught in Cape Cod
Anyone needing any more info just let me know
BUCKTAIL WILLIE
Button Buck

Next

Return to Fishing Forums