How close is too close?

Anything to do with hunting or trapping

How close is too close?

Unread postby DV1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:33 pm

On public land...how close is too close to set up next to another hunters' stand? I have my own opinion on it but from what I'm seeing in the last several years, I'm thinking I'm the only one who thinks 30 yards is too close.

Went to a stand a few weeks ago and someone had dumped a bag of what I think was acorn rage right under my stand. I didn't see any other stands pop up at that time, but since then, someone has put up a stand within 30 yards, 12 inches off the trail that leads to my shooting lane, a stand about 50 yards away, and one about 60 yards away.

It was a decent spot...mostly because no one had been messing around, cutting trees for shooting lanes, setting up stands (mine has been in the tree for years), etc. I went in to hunt it and saw no tracks in the mud, which is very strange. Saw no deer, got down to sneak along side the run to look for scrapes where they normally appear, and saw a stand right on the other side of my shooting lane. From there, I could see another. Walked a bit more and saw a 3rd.

So, what's your take...am I wrong to think you shouldn't set up right on top of another hunter on pubic land? Is that too old fashioned?

This is just the latest example, not the first time it's happened this year. And it's not just me. I see it all over different WMA's.
DV1
6 pointer

Re: How close is too close?

Unread postby rr79 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:07 pm

I refuse to hunt even remotely close to another hunter. Not only cuz its not right. Cuz i cant control the situation. As in i know i wont spook the deer but another hunters stank stupid donkey or errors can mess my hunt up. I'd honestly rather not hunt at all then burn my little free time havn ruinned hunts.
The word harvesting in for vegetables!
I kill things!

#Teamstickbow#Stickbowkilla#
rr79
Droptine

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Doug cool topic , I'am very lazy so most years in leave my treestands in the woods all year long . and most cases where I film guys hunting is private land . plenty of times over the years I walk up on hunters and they are in my treestands . whats a fat cameraman to do :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby Meatonstick » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:21 pm

If I can see your truck I'm not hunting there. I think a few hundred yards is too close!
Meatonstick
Droptine

Unread postby DV1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:39 pm

Meatonstick wrote:If I can see your truck I'm not hunting there. I think a few hundred yards is too close!

Yeah, a few hundred yards would be sweet...even 100 I could live with but that doesn't seem to be the norm any longer. It happens to me just about everywhere I hunt, and I see it all over while scouting...stands set up cutting each other off. I talk to people that have it happen to them too.

New attitude I guess. I ran into a younger guy from PA, late 20's, maybe 30 yrs old at WMA this year. He was walking in with a climber, told me where he was going to hunt. I told him there was a double ladder set right there. He just asked if the guy was in it. I said no, but it's RIGHT THERE, mere yards from where he was going to set up. He shrugged, said it didn't matter. Said he learned to look for old stands and hunt there because they were put there for a reason. Same principle applies to new stands. He just goes up next to them in his climber to see what's moving at that spot. It's public land so no one owns a spot.

His attitude seems to be the norm now. I personally think that's a basshole move, but like I said, maybe I'm old fashioned.
DV1
6 pointer

Unread postby grtwhthntr/fisherman » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:40 am

im with meat. I see a truck I go elsewhere!! who wants to have a guy that close to ruin your hunt or get down early or worse yet shoot a deer close to u ? your hunt is over!!!!I actualy get down early on occasion and scout hunters trucks in various spots to see where everyone is than I hunt where there not.
[flash=]slayer of all edible fishes and deers[/flash]
grtwhthntr/fisherman
6 pointer

Unread postby ImpalaSSpeed96 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:09 pm

I can't stand hunting around other guys. But I'm pretty sure most guys are terrible hunters, so that's what you're experiencing.

Too busy to post from the computer!
Tim

Stick and string, how I do my thing....
ImpalaSSpeed96
12 Pointer

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Yea I try to stay 100 + away but on state land sometimes not possible.
If I'm not already set up in a place I will stay at least 150 yards away.
This year my doe spot after putting camera out 3 weeks later guy set up from me, I was there first but it is state lands. Where I scatter the corn and mineral is just for inventory.
I waved as I walked past his camera.
Well today he left a note on my camera, was a nice not with his number.
I called and we worked it out today, was nice talking to a HUNTER with some ethics.
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby upbowhunter » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:54 am

I always carry my stand in and out every hunt. They won't find my stand to hunt near. Deer don't get on to you either. I generally don't hunt the same tree twice in a year.
25' up a tree is where I love to be
60" Black Rock longbow
Black Eagle Vintage arrows
Zwickey Eskimo broadheads
Fred Eichlor 3 under tab
upbowhunter
6 pointer

How close is too close

Unread postby Annabiz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:08 pm

If either party has to worry about shotfall, then they are too close. That usually means about 300 yards.

As far as overcalling, obnoxious talking/laughing/yelling at the dog, skybusting at anything within 100yards.....even half a mile is too close. Seriously.

___
XRumer 12.0.17 + SocPlugin: Most popular application for SMM and SEO
Annabiz
Button Buck

Next

Return to Hunting Forums