Slow year

Anything to do with hunting or trapping

Slow year

Unread postby born2hunt » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Been hunting for 41 years and this year is very slow. Deer seem to be more nocturnal then ever. I have pics. of nice bucks but all late at night,even does and young deer have been coming in at night. Of course the cycles have been running rampant in the area. I hunt zone 23,why??? I don't know. My season is severely limited. and it ends the 22nd. I guess it's because It is where I have grown up hunting and it is familiar. I have got a few deer,a decent 6 pointer and a big doe so far but it seems slow all over. This year has been a cross roads in my deer hunting life.I missed opening day of bow,a first in all my years. I have not had the "drive" the "want" to get out there that has always been there. There seems to be so many negatives surrounding this sport that I have loved all my life, I think the negativity has begun to sap the love of this great sport from me. I did not join the deer contest this year intentionally because I feel it made me stop hunting for the reason I started, ...to be out in the woods and enjoy it for what it was not feel I had to achieve a certain criteria to prove I had accomplished my goal. It's great that some have private areas to hunt and are able to constantly harvest big bucks,But I know that killing a doe in the area I hunt is probably a greater challenge then killing a mature buck on an a farm that has no pressure. I think this is a great forum,there are many knowledgeable individuals here that share their information. You gain a different perspective with age,It is not what did it score. But was it an enjoyable outing. I am so sick of seeing what did it score? If that's all you go out for then stay home.
Rock the boat don't tip the boat over.
born2hunt
y buck

Re: Slow year

Unread postby rr79 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:39 pm

born2hunt wrote: I am so sick of seeing what did it score? If that's all you go out for then stay home.
We been through this 1000 times though. Thats what does it for you. Others may not be out meat hunting and may not enjoy shooting a doe or 6pt. Each hunter has a different goal.
The word harvesting in for vegetables!
I kill things!

#Teamstickbow#Stickbowkilla#
rr79
Droptine

Unread postby Meatonstick » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:56 pm

Agree 100% b2h. I could care less what a deer scores and never will. I enjoy the hunt, BUT some guys enjoy it. So to each his own. I think it's cool how some folks come up with an extra thrill or to do after the hunt. That's great. Not for me.

And yes, I'm also having a poor season myself. Worst in 5 or 6 years according to my log book. One doe and a bad shot on a buck for me. Also missed another doe. Not sure what it is but bow season just isn't working out this year. Still plenty of time though. My new work schedule doesn't allow much hunting either so as a weekend warrior now the pressure is on. I'm really hoping I can turn things around muzzleloader season. Good luck to ya. Keep your head up. It will happen when you least expect it!
Meatonstick
Droptine

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:57 pm

I was filming plenty of members on the site deer hunting 2014, we seen just one mature buck the whole season . slow for me also :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby born2hunt » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:16 pm

rr79 wrote:
born2hunt wrote: I am so sick of seeing what did it score? If that's all you go out for then stay home.
We been through this 1000 times though. Thats what does it for you. Others may not be out meat hunting and may not enjoy shooting a doe or 6pt. Each hunter has a different goal.

Okay this may be posting twice....I wrote this once did not come up. 79 your missing my point.It's not what it does for me it is what I am able to achieve, I think hunting should be more about the the experience,that said the experience,is directly related to your personal situation.....ie where you hunt. I am not knocking those that are able to harvest big bucks every year by no means. But don't let that become the " criteria" that we judge success by. A successful hunt has many more things that go into it.
Rock the boat don't tip the boat over.
born2hunt
y buck

Unread postby rr79 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:37 pm

You are right. But you said you are sick of hearing about scores and if thats all a guy cares about he should stay home. I dont care about scores just rack size. Some care about age. Some the score. Just sayn everyone hunts for different reasons. And you arnt stuck in that hunting area. There are tons of state woods with big bucks and no people in hard to get to places. Its just a matter of how much ya wanna go through to get there. Not arguing with ya. Its just a fact. Ya gotta move on. You can acheive nice deer but ya dont like change. Understandable. I'd like to hunt this once hot spot near my house thst i hunted for years. Didnt have to walk far to get in tree ect. But i dont cuz it sux now do to other hunters. So if ya gotta drive a hour then walk a hour through mud then thats what ya gotta do. Or keep watching dirtbikes fly by. Just sayn.
I kill things!

rr79
Droptine

Unread postby rr79 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:50 am

Meatstick what did you say? Now if you killed another good deer this year you woulda been asking again. Just sayn.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-11-20-08-44-37-1.png
I kill things!

rr79
Droptine

Unread postby nanuke22 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:18 am

B2h I know you said your having a slow year, and others have said they are having a pour year, but I can honestly say that I have never had a year like this.. I have gone years eating tag soup, but it just fuels my fire for next year seeing that I didn't get it done the year before.

b2h you know that I hunt the same woods you do, my suggestion is to change up your tactics or try a new area. I find when I do this I find it more exciting as I don't know what to expect..

Look at it this way at least you can still hunt... Good luck the rest of year..
2016 Hoyt Defiant (Ridge Reaper Camo)
Gold Tip Pro Hunter 300 4 Fletch Vane Tech
Hamskea Versa Rest/Sure-Loc Sight/ Shrewd Stabilizer
NAP Spitfire/ Tight Spot quiver/ Carter Too Simple
60X custom strings staff shooter http://www.60XCustomStrings.com
nanuke22
6 pointer

Unread postby 55project » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:10 am

In all my years i never cared what my deer scored or did i ever give it a 2nd thought. But after shooting my buck this season i had alot of folks ask me what it scored. So with that i pulled up how to do it and gave mine a try. It's not the biggest on the board but i'm Very Proud of it as i am with ANY Buck i have taken over my years hunting. :) And i can tell you each and every place and story where i got it. Doe too. :) So just because your having a slow year, don't be so fast to take your frustrations out on others on the site that are doing well. :( Posting up stories and pics are what the site is about.
Just step back and go over all your hunting gear, Make sure everything is odor free and then go to your spot and see if there is a critter or people in your area that may be screwing up your spot. If all the last 2 are good to go, then you just may need to move your spot, even if it's just a few hundred yards. The deer could be passing you and you wouldn't even know it. I know it's late, but re-scout and look for fresh sign, it will happen. :)

Good Luck :)
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:10 am

hey born2hunt ,it was really awsome thursday morning scouting one of my old haunts with you ..walking around that area really brought back huntin memories .just looking at the area i used to hunt i could almost see the bucks walkin that ridge top ..no not the RIDGE 10 gauge relax :mrgreen: but that area has always produced deer for me in the past and its deff a different hunting style there its so dam quiet you gotta watch every move ..hey when your ready to setup let me know buddy il help ya!cool rite up glad your back with us ,hope to hear more deer kills in the future .hey your doing better than me ,i haveint killed squat!!!even my wifes breaking my --lls!!..know what the best part about that scouting trip was ? standing at the truck drinkin coffee and tellin old deer stories about these woods [now thats what deer huntins about] :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

Next

Return to Hunting Forums