Has anyone hunted Wisconsin for deer?

Anything to do with hunting or trapping

Has anyone hunted Wisconsin for deer?

Unread postby Buckman37 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:21 am

I was curious if anyone has hunted Wisconsin for deer in gun season with an outfitter. If so, how was it? It's pretty wild to see the B&C entries map and how WI is a hot bed for big bucks. I know they have had issues with CWD and EHD in places, but I would be curious to maybe spend a little time in a tree out there. Thanks for your help!
Buckman37
spike

Re: Has anyone hunted Wisconsin for deer?

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:51 am

Buckman was nice seeing you and the family at the banquet, let me know if you or anyone wants a Outdoorsmensvoice decal. Didn't get a chance to ask you there.

AlldayRay went to Buffalo county and loved it, I will get him to respond.
Good luck!!
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby rr79 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:04 am

Not a outfitter but private land. Lots of big deer. They do alot of deer drives or at least in the area i was(webster).
The word harvesting in for vegetables!
I kill things!

#Teamstickbow#Stickbowkilla#
rr79
Droptine

Unread postby Buckman37 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:47 am

Tom - It was nice seeing you as well! We got a decal from Biggamecameraman at the sportsman jamboree a few weeks back, thanks!

The reason I am asking is because my dad won the Iowa duck hunt at the NWTF banquet. It is a 2 day hunt from this year and I thought it would be cool if we could maybe get a deer hunt in as well since we are driving. I am also open to Missouri and Indiana since they are (sort of) on the way. I know its late to line up a hunt for this year at this point in the year, but its worth looking in to! The duck hunt has to be taken in November, so my thought was to find a state with big buck potential and over the counter tags in gun season.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Buckman37
spike

Unread postby ImpalaSSpeed96 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:49 am

I've wanted to hunt Wisconsin for years now. Cheap OTC prices and lots of public land. From what I've heard, it's beautiful and you can pull a great deer off public land.

But I have to wonder, why Wisconsin? It's not really on the way to Iowa at all? You have to probably drive at least 5 hours north just to where you want to be to hunt. Then 5 hours back down, then E to home. The more logical choice, if you were really wanting to stop and hunt, would be Ohio. The OTC prices are cheap, and you have all the public land accessible you need. And it really won't be out of the way at all.

You will be close to WI, but it's still probably going to be another 10 hours of driving tacked onto the trip. But don't let me discourage you! I've been wanting to hunt it for a long time and would love to hear a trip report! :D
Tim

Stick and string, how I do my thing....
ImpalaSSpeed96
12 Pointer

Unread postby rr79 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:59 am

Wisconsin is on the way if you are going to canada lol. I think it was 22hr drive if i remember right.
I kill things!

rr79
Droptine

Unread postby ImpalaSSpeed96 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:18 am

Shouldn't be that long. It took me 29 hours to get home from Minot, ND. You should be able to make Wisc in about 16 I would think.
Tim

Stick and string, how I do my thing....
ImpalaSSpeed96
12 Pointer

Unread postby upbowhunter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:38 pm

Depends on where you hunt. Wisc. Has so many different types of terrain with completely different hunting. Not all are the same. Pick an area and study. I would hunt western bluffs.
25' up a tree is where I love to be
60" Black Rock longbow
Black Eagle Vintage arrows
Zwickey Eskimo broadheads
Fred Eichlor 3 under tab
upbowhunter
6 pointer

Unread postby rr79 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:01 pm

I was in norther part of state. Cant remember but it was longer then 16 thats fow shizzle.
I kill things!

rr79
Droptine

Unread postby Grayson » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:15 am

For the first time since 1995, there are no October herd-control gun hunts anywhere in the state. CWD zone hunters can make their first deer a buck under “bonus buck” rules. Anyone may now hunt with a crossbow during any gun deer season. Hunter participation in deer field research remains strong; $5 introductory licenses for various game species are introduced to help recruit new hunters and encourage past hunters to return.
Grayson
Button Buck

Next

Return to Hunting Forums