Proud and excited!

Anything to do with hunting or trapping

Proud and excited!

Unread postby lvfishn » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Three years ago, I lost custody of my grandson to his father. I was trying to teach him how to shoot a bow back then, but once his father got him, I hardly had time to teach him much about hunting because visit time was very short when we were able to see him. And if he had camo on or I took pictures of him shooting - he begged me not to post them "so they can't see them". Well, I just got custody back from his father in December, so "his father and evil step mother" have no control now as to what he can do and can't do. I have been working hard with him to teach him what I know so he can get his license when he was young.

He was always saying what is the big rush? I said get it while you are young and it will always be there when you want to go out and when you are older when something comes up and you can go. We have the chance to do it now and you are going. I never saw this kid study so hard for something!

I got my shotgun license when I was a kid, but my bow, I didn't until I was in my mid-30's and very glad I had both when I picked up hunting again a couple years ago.

My grandson just turned 14 and he worked hard last weekend, spending 5 1/2hrs at the NJ hunter safety course and passed for BOTH bow and firearm.

His first time shooting a shotgun was a couple weeks ago - hitting 30 of the 40 clay birds. I was thrilled he did so good!

He has been on a couple deer hunts with me but of course there were only fawns and no adults those days. Plus he was a little bored and it was MURDER not having his video game to pass the time. I promised he will still be breathing at the end of the day. My brother did get a doe which gave him some pep. He has helped me track, field dress deer and drag out that I shot on the home turf with ease.

I picked up his turkey permit today and man, you should see that smile that pops onto his face when I tell him, turkey season is only a couple weeks away and he has first shot at them. I can't wait! PLUS not many kids get to say Grandma taught me how to hunt and I went hunting with my grandma! Thank goodness I am not an old grandma. :D :D
lvfishn
spike

Re: Proud and excited!

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:53 pm

lvn ,
That's awesome! If you need a place to take him don't hesitate to ask!! Good luck to you two!!
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
VPA 3Blade Broadhead
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
NWTF - Tri-County Longbeards
Thunderchicken
6 pointer

Unread postby Turkeyboy44 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:13 pm

I hope he kills a bird and its great to get him into the sport of hunting keep him out of trouble good luck this spring filling his tag love hearing a good story
45 lb Hoyt Dorado Recurve ( at my draw length its right about 50 lbs)
500 Gold Tip traditional xt arrows
Grizzly Stik silver flame and Maasai broadheads

SLAYEROFDEER
Stickbowkilla
Turkeyboy44
Droptine

Unread postby B B » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:38 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of you and him with his first turkey.
I LIKE TURTLE SOUP !!!
B B
12 Pointer

Unread postby uncleyips » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:19 pm

What a great read and please posted pics of his first turkey.
" Doin wrong , til I get it right "
uncleyips
6 pointer

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:43 am

Very cool, best of luck!! Keep us posted and let us know if you need any help
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby 55project » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Glad you got full custody . 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

My brother is going thru the same BS with his grandson. My brother did everything with him, from camping to fishing. His life revolved around him, and he was the coolest little guy you ever wanted to be around. Now the other family pulled him away from my brother and put him on meds so they can just lock him in a room and not be bothered with him. What the F is the matter with people. ? Is collecting a check more important than letting the kids go to the folks that just want them around because they Love them ?
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Congrats on getting your grandson back. Hey can not wait to see pictures of both of you. Good luck with the turkey season
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Unread postby lvfishn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Thank you! Oh believe me! I will be posting pictures!

55P - It's insane! The parents all of a sudden want to be a parent and think they know best? NOT. The courts see the parents as who should have custody and don't probe into home life. Duh - If a grandparent is willing to give up everything to take care of their grandchild - there has to be something wrong with the parents and not just grandparent love! And the courts need to ask the kids what is going on when doors are closed.

So, his father was getting a divorce and could not take my grandson with him over the road and my daughter (the mother) is far from a parent. They both signed giving up their rights to me. They have to take me to court to get him back. A judge with common sense would see he ended back where he started and is happy.
His other grandparents are on my side too and tell his father that my grandson is back where he belongs. He will tell you that too! I belong here with my grandma - she raised me and is my mom. :) I get 110% love back. That teenager attitude shows it's self sometimes - but I walk over and dust his shoulder off and tell him to loose the teenager chip on his shoulder and realize the dumb reason it is showing. He backs off quickly. Sometimes I have to remind him - attitude shows when a video game is involved. aaand your friends do not know more than me (ok maybe technical), I know when you are lying so don't even try. Getting caught, you will wish you took care of that chip long before it was a thought. LOL.

Thanks again for the support gang and you know it that I will be posting pictures his hunting days and harvests!
lvfishn
spike

Unread postby 55project » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:52 pm

It's a story i'm hearing way too often these days. Sad deal for the kids.

Glad yours is home with you, my brother is going to have a hard long road to get where you are.

Looking forward to the seasons pics :)
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Next

Return to Hunting Forums